Chapter 13

Ethan's POV

Finally the end bell rang.

RING RING RING

"Ethan Karpathy, Can I see you after class please?" The teacher called.

UGH why now'??

"Yes, Mrs. Greensborough?" I asked, walking up to her.

"You're grades are slipping. If they keep falling I will be having a chat with your parents."

What?

"OKAY MRS. GREENSBOROUGH!" I called, running out to the hospital.

-

-

-

Zoe's POV

Ethan ran into my room, like a sweaty mess of handsome. His hair fell madly around his head and his beanie was nearly falling off.

"You're late" I say sadly, as he was. And he never had been before.

"Zoe." His chocolate brown eyes gaze into mine "I am here for you now. And am ready to support you through this Journey."

I look at Ethan, palms outstretched. I wiggle over my bed and pat the pillow next to me, where he ungracefully plonks down.

"I want you to know what's happening to me" I say, as I look into his eyes.

-

-

-

Ethan's POV

Zoe is so trusting. She never keeps anything a secret. She is so.. perfect.

Perfect.

"Well, hello again Ethan and Zoe" Alysha said walking into the room

"Zoe said she wants me to tell you what's happening"

I nod, and glance at Zoe, but she is stern and looking straight ahead.

"The Doctor has decided, as many have, for these first few rounds of Chemotherapy, for Zoe to take a pill called Fludarabine. Fludarabine is part of the anti-metabolites group of medicine and is used to treat a variety of cancers, including many leukemias."

"Like Zoe's, right?" I ask.

"Yes, She has Chronic Lymphocyte Leukemia and this pill will stop cells from growing and will make RNA and DNA. The cancer cells will then hopefully die out, because they cannot grow."

"What happened to the drip drug thing?"

"The Doctor decided that the pill would be easier and quicker, so we changed the plan."

"Side Effects?" I ask quietly.

"There are a few serious ones, but we shouldn't worry. I suspect that Zoe will lose her hair, feel tired, have aches and pains, bruises and discomfit."

"Just one pill will cause that?" I gawped in disbelief.

"Well, we are going to start with 3 rounds of chemotherapy which means that Zoe will eat a pill a day for 5 days and then nothing for 23 days. That is a round. Today is the first. Remember Zoe will not receive all the side effects," Alysha smiled, glad she could help.

She gave Zoe a pill and a glass of water.

Zoe stared at the water unconvinced, and Alysha walked out.

"I'll be there for you, Zoe, remember that," I whispered.

-

-

-

Zoe's POV

Ethan was being so nice. But he didn't understand.

AND how could I tell him?

This shitty stupid careless hospital, in my point of view (might not be everyone who goes to THIS PARTICULAR hospital's view) has re-judged my case and labeled it unimportant and handed it over to the newest, least experienced doctor there is

Doctor D.

And instead of doing tests to efficiently judge which type of chemotherapy I should take, he went online and searched up, ON GOOGLE, chemotherapy treatments for CLL. Seriously, and he chose the first option.

But then how should I know?

Other then the fact he did it right in front of me, in this very room?

He told me.

He told me everything.

Everything.

Including the nasty side effects that are likely to happen to me.

EVERYTHING.

-

-

-

Ethan's POV

Zoe sat there, straight back, jaw clenched. She was obviously thinking deeply of something very important.

I softly squeeze her hand. "I am here for you" I whisper "Whenever, whatever."

"Ethan, close your mouth, I don't want any of my medicine getting into your system, because it could cause serious problems to those who don't need it" Zoe said calmly, carefully pronouncing every word slowly and with care.

And I did. I closed my mouth so tightly that my teeth ached. And I nodded.

Zoe gulped down the pill with a large quantity of water, making sure not to crunch or bite. It had to be swallowed whole.

"Well, then, Zoe" I asked slowly.

Zoe closed her eyes and nodded.

"How do you feel?"

Zoe looked up at me "I feel fine. Not any different. For God's sake, it's only been a minute!"

Then she grinned, "Actually I am more then fine, 'cause you are with me!"

Then she laughed and we danced around the room, full of laughter, her hair falling in her eyes.

Man, isn't she beautiful?

-

-

-

Zoe's POV

What Ethan didn't know is that I was creating a mirage, to stop him from worrying.

It is too soon for side effects isn't it? It is probably my mind playing tricks, the side effects swirling nastily around in my brain.

My stomach felt ugly, my brain sore. There was aches and pains all over my body.

But it is too soon for side effects, isn't it?

Why should Ethan worry?

I am fine.

I am normal.

I am happy.

I am fine.

Why should Ethan worry?

-

-

-

Author's Note:

Hello Karpathians! I am Anna's friend, Maya. I hope you liked my contribution to Anna's masterpiece. Anna will probably come round, add to and edit this chapter.

It's nice to have someone actually read what I have written, so please comment whether or not it was as good as Anna's.

-Maya

This took me forever to edit MAYA USE FULLSTOPS

-Anna

I'll Be There (Ethan Karpathy)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें