37

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN ˎˊ˗

Kalila grumbled as she turned the key in the lock of the Salvatore Boarding House, pushing the door open with her foot as she tried to balance an iced coffee and her laptop in the same hand as the other worked on getting the key back in her pocket while also holding her phone. It was much too early to be worrying about vampire drama, but Stefan sounded serious on the phone, so she got out of bed at the ass crack of dawn to help her boyfriend out.

"Kal," he said in greeting, the tension in his shoulders seeming to immediately fall as soon as he saw her. He leaned in, kissing her quickly, but pulled away just as fast, grabbing her hand as he dragged her into the main sitting room where Damon was already camped out on one of the couches and Elena was perched opposite him, looking like she would simply rather be anywhere else right then. And then, in a real unexpected turn of events, the woman from last night stood in the middle of the room, arms crossed over her chest and eyes full of fury as she took in Kalila.

"You!" the woman spat full of venom before speeding up to right in her face. The shock of her even being there was enough to throw Kalila off, but adding in the sudden vamp-related speed and the absolute anger she was giving off made her stumble back, looking at the woman with wide eyes. "You killed Trevor!"

"What?" Kalila asked as Stefan stepped in between the two of them, holding a hand out to move Kalila farther back. "I don't even know who that is!" she protested, but she quickly realized that that was the wrong thing to say entirely. The woman lunged at her again, but this time, Damon stepped in, separating her from Stefan to put even more space between them.

"It's the dude you killed yesterday, Kal," Damon supplied, getting the woman to stop freaking out. "Rose here was his bestie."

"Oh..." she trailed off, not really knowing what to say. She had never been really confronted with this situation before, and quite frankly, she never really expected to be. She knew that the people she killed had people who loved them. She just never really thought they would be standing in her boyfriend's house, ready to kill her.

"Listen," Stefan interrupted her. "Trevor was trying to kill my girlfriend, and she did what she had to do. Do I need to remind you that you kidnapped Elena?" The woman didn't say anything to that. "Now, can we please just get back to what we're here for?" Rose grumbled, but relented, and sat down on the couch next to Elena, who visibly bristled.

"Stef, what are you talking about?" Kalila asked as she followed him to the opposite couch where Damon was already sitting and took a seat between the two brothers. She sipped nervously on her iced coffee, barely even enjoying it because her nerves were so high. She can't believe Stefan didn't think to give her any sort of heads up about what exactly she would be walking into this morning. She would definitely be giving him just a little bit of hell for it.