01

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER ONE ˎˊ˗

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER ONE ˎˊ˗

Kalila set down the last box from the moving truck onto her new driveway. It was a box labeled 'Kitchen', so she had a feeling that it probably wasn't going to be opened for a while. Ever since her mom died, the girl had gotten used to a steady diet of drive-thru burgers and takeout Chinese food. If she really thought about it, the home-cooked meals stopped as soon as her mother found an obsession in the town of Mystic Falls, but she thought it was easier to blame her dad for the things in her life that weren't up to par.

She watched as her dad walked outside, surveying the amount of boxes to bring inside. He bent over, picking one up. "These boxes don't move themselves, Kal," her dad attempted to joke, but she was far too annoyed to crack a smile, which she's pretty sure he noticed. "This'll be a good thing." He attempted to reason with her.

She just shrugged and closed up the door of the moving truck so that one of them could take it back in the morning. "Kalila," her father tried again, this time gathering her attention with the use of her full name, which he rarely, if ever, does. "I'm starting a new job at the local high school as a history teacher." He paused. "And you'll be starting there too. On Monday."

"What?" she asked in shock, believing that surely she must have misheard him. Kalila had been doing online school for the past two years, which was conveniently her entire high school career, and there was no way he was actually going to make her go to public school. Right?

"It'll be good for you to have some friends," he reasoned, but Kalila just rolled her eyes.

"No, you just want me to not be your problem for eight hours of the day, and then if I make friends, I won't be your problem for even more hours of the day."

"Kal."

"No, I get it. Throw the poor, motherless girl to the wolves. It's fine."

Her father came over where she was leaning against the moving truck, throwing an arm over her shoulders in a comforting gesture. "I know you hate having to move again."

"Understatement of the century," she interrupted, but he still continued on.

"But this also just happens to be the most concrete lead that we've had in the past two years and you know it. I can't be the weird teacher hanging around the teenagers, but you can, and they're bound to know something." Kalila rolled her eyes, but rested her head on his shoulder in surrender.

"I still really hate the fact that we had to move."

"I know," her dad sighed. "But things for the greater good tend to be worth it."

"Greater good?" she said with a scoff. "Until we get killed by a murderous vampire and then it will all be pretty bad."

"It's the only way we're going to find your mother, kiddo." She didn't feel the need to correct him that it was actually going to be the only way they'll find her mother's body. She knew what he meant, and hurting her dad's feelings just wasn't really worth it. Besides, he wasn't delusional about the fact that they would find her mother alive, which they wouldn't. Still, the allure of hope was sometimes too much to resist.