26

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX ˎˊ˗

Kalila jumped awake as her phone rang loudly right next to her ear. She groaned, sitting up as she rubbed the sleep out of her eye and expected to be met with the assault of sunlight. When her eyes didn't involuntarily squint, she stood up, throwing the curtains open to only be met with darkness outside.

She remembered what had happened last night. Her and Stefan had kissed. And continued to kiss for a...rather long time, and then they fell asleep. She picked up her phone, seeing that the time read well past seven o'clock in the evening. Sighing as she realized she had lost an entire day from sleeping, she threw her phone on Stefan's bed and went to go take a shower and get dressed for the day. Or really, evening.

Just as she left Stefan's bathroom wrapped in a towel, her phone started ringing again. She sighed, checking the Caller ID before answering it. "Hey, Stefan," she greeted, hoping the smile came through in her voice. "Did I really sleep that long?"

He laughed. "Yeah, you did." There was a brief pause before he spoke again. "Hey, look, something happened."

"Oh, God," Kalila groaned as she put her phone on speaker, sliding on her jeans as she spoke. "What now?"

"Katherine turned Caroline."

Kalila's eyes widened. "You're kidding. Our sweet, control freak Caroline?"

"Yeah. She got in a car accident last night when the Gilbert invention went off and Tyler was driving."

"Wait, wait, Tyler's a vampire?" God, how much did she really sleep through?

"No, he's not." Before Kalila could ask any more questions of what the hell happened, Stefan continued on. "Anyway, we need your help managing her vampire urges. And protecting her from Damon who just wants to kill her." She nodded, even though she knew that he couldn't see her as she put her shirt on. Of course, Damon was involved. She sighed as her hand ran over her neck, remembering the events of her murder.

"Yeah, okay. Where are you?"

"The school carnival," he told her as she finished sliding on her shoes.

"Anything else I might have slept through?" she asked as she slung her bag on her shoulder and took her phone off of speaker as she headed to her car.

"I don't think so," Stefan laughed. "Yesterday was crazy and you got your neck broken for the first time so I thought you would need to sleep as long as you could." She smiled to herself. "Plus, you did look pretty cute."

"Oh, so now you watch me when I sleep?" she teased. "I'll keep that in mind, Edward Cullen."

"That hurts, Kalila."

"Good," she laughed as she got in her car and started it up. "I'll see you in a bit?"

"I'll be waiting."