13

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER THIRTEEN ˎˊ˗

It didn't take long for the gang to gear up for battle. Well, except for Elena, who was more than just a little angry that Damon wouldn't let her go save Stefan. Kalila could understand her anger, but she also knew that Damon was definitely right when he said it was way too dangerous. She didn't have a ring, and she wasn't trained to fight. She'd be wrecked within seconds.

Instead, Kalila and her dad were walking through the woods, hoping that the farmhouse in question wasn't as far away as it felt.

"You know," her dad spoke up, adjusting the grip on his crossbow. "Damon had no problem sending you off to danger, and somehow, you're still friends with him."

Kalila rolled her eyes. She had tried a few times to explain to her dad her very complicated and strange friendship with Damon, but some things just weren't trying to get others to understand. "Dad," she stated in annoyance.

"I'm just saying, Kal. I don't want you getting hurt."

She shrugged. "He saved my life yesterday. Didn't even hesitate even though he knew I had this." She fanned her fingers out, holding them in front of her dad as she wiggled the one with the ring. "I don't think he'd send me into anything I couldn't handle." Her dad just grumbled. "You're the one that let me go," she said pointedly, brushing past him as she walked ahead.

"Thanks for reminding me," he said, jogging to catch up with her as they arrive at the long path leading to the farmhouse. "Now or never?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Now or never," she repeated and the two of them walked to the front door.

Kalila reached forward, knocking on the door as she put on an innocent demeanor. Getting them all to believe that they were just a lost father and daughter was the only way they'd let them inside to even get a chance.

"Oh, thank a God," her dad said in mock relief as the door opened to reveal what had to have been one of the tomb vampires. "My daughter and I were on our way home and our car broke down and we can't get any service." He held his phone up to demonstrate. "We were wondering if you could use your phone."

Kalila stayed silent, watching as the vampire's lips split into a sinister grin. "Sure," he said, opening the door wider for them. "Come on in."

The two of them took a hesitant step inside, eventually following him into the kitchen as another vampire shut the door behind them. Every instinct in her body was telling her that she was in danger, and having to ignore that was becoming increasingly difficult as three other vampires slowly migrated into the kitchen as her dad picked up the phone.

"You're very kind," her dad complimented, and at the sound of the words for their pre-arranged signal, Kalila quickly lifted her arm, using the weapon around her wrist to shoot a stake directly into the heart of the vampire behind her dad before whipping around within milliseconds, firing into the next chest she saw, making the shot easily.