06

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER SIX ˎˊ˗

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER SIX ˎˊ˗

It didn't take long for Kalila to realize that she wasn't going to learn any more than she already knew, which was that Stefan and Damon were vampires. The Salvatore's that weren't vampires didn't really make it a habit to keep information around about secret tombs, so it wasn't really a surprise when she decided that her time would be better spent at the dance going on tonight.

She had told herself she wasn't going, so she didn't have any sort of outfit, and instead just showed up in the same thing she wore to school, which was very obviously not from the 50's.

Upon walking in the brightly decorated gym, she saw Damon and Stefan watching Elena like a hawk, which she understood was probably because she was attacked, and the attacker probably wasn't one to just wave a white flag and call a truce. Kalila made a mental note to keep an eye out for that, and scanned the room to find her father. It wasn't that hard considering he was wearing a dorky looking letterman jacket.

"Hey, Mr. Saltzman!" she called out as she reached him, careful to keep the same cover that they've been using this time.

"Hey, Kalila," he greeted her, accompanied by a warm smile. He leaned in a little closer, his voice dropping to a bit of a whisper. "Where'd you go after free period? I got called from the office and had to cover for you." He looked at her with the usual fatherly concern.

"Well," she said proudly. "Damon Salvatore invited me to help him with a research project on some secret tomb that has his eternal vampire love inside. And also apparently two dozen other vampires, so I think this goes a little deeper than we thought."

He clapped her on the shoulder. "Well, good work."

Before either of them could say anything else, Jenna comes bounding up to them, very appropriately dressed in a bright pink ensemble for the 50's dance. "Hey, Alaric," she said as she walked up, and Kalila almost cringed at how weird it was for someone to be dating her dad. "Oh, hey, Kalila!" she exclaimed sheepishly, just noticing her for the first time. Kalila resisted the urge to roll her eyes and just gave a small wave. "Do you mind if I steal Alaric?"

Kalila just waved her off, not really wanting to hear any more of it. "Be my guest," she said with a bright smile that immediately disappeared as soon as Jenna whisked her dad off to who knows where.

With one person that she could talk to down and the other two busy protecting Elena, that only left one person. As her eyes made contact with Jeremy standing behind the punch bowl as he worked the concessions, she felt a sharp pang of guilt. Swallowing it down, she figured that as far as Jeremy knew, she was just his friend who didn't want to date him and not the girl who rejected him purely because she was only using him to get information about Mystic Falls. What he didn't know couldn't hurt him. At least, that's how she reasoned it as she walked towards him.