14

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER FOURTEEN ˎˊ˗

The breath was knocked out of Kalila's lungs as she was slammed onto the gym mat, hand pressed against her chest to pin her down. "Geez, Stefan. I'm a little breakable, you know?" She coughed as he gave her the offending hand, helping her up.

"Somehow, I don't believe you," he said, holding his fists up once again.

"And somehow, I think you just like winning."

"Now that's-" She interrupted, quickly ducking and kicking her leg out hard enough to knock his from underneath him as he falls to the mat. "That was definitely cheating." He laughed as he sat up, biting his wrist open as he offered his blood to Kalila, who gladly took it, the pain in her muscles rushing away.

Ever since she had found out about Stefan's human blood relapse, she had been spending most of their time supervising his hunting trips and using their mornings to workout to release the tension, which had slowly progressed into Stefan wanting to test Kalila's vampire hunter skills, which were improving as a result, to say the least.

"How did you even get so good at fighting anyways?" He started to put his shirt back on. "It seems like a weird skill for a teenage girl to have."

She shrugged. "My dad taught me pretty much everything I know. It's easy to not worry about vampire attacks when you don't know they exist, but as soon as you do, you need to be prepared for anything."

Stefan nodded. "So this is just your life?"

She smiled weakly. "Yeah. Ever since my mom died...or I guess not, but you know what I mean. Anyway, my dad became so obsessed with vampires. It was like the only thing that mattered to him, and by extension, teaching me how to spot them, how to avoid them, and how to kill them." She plopped down on Stefan's bed, downing a bottle of water. "We lived in North Carolina for pretty much my entire life, and then when we found her research, we started moving from place to place to find her. Mystic Falls was the last one."

"Last place you look." He threw a towel in her direction, which she easily caught, wiping off the sweat covering her face.

"Guess so."

"Does that ever make you lonely?" She tilted her head in question. "I mean, moving around all the time, not setting up roots?"

"Oh," she said with a sigh. "Yeah...yeah, I guess it does."

"I'm sorry," he said as he sat down next to her, offering another water bottle as she finished her last one.

"Don't be." She waved him off. "I feel far less lonely these days." She smiled as she looked at him, a warm feeling taking over her body as she did.

"You do?"

"Yeah, I mean, Damon's kind of my best friend now. Which, I know, is weird, but-"

He interrupted her. "No, not at all." She couldn't pinpoint the look on his face as he looked at her.