09

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER NINE ˎˊ˗

Saturday's had become the most boring day of Kalila's week. There was no vampire hunter mystery and no one to manipulate. She felt guilty about thinking about that last one, but she couldn't help but admit that she missed Damon over the past month while Stefan was trying to investigate Isobel. Just a little bit. Which she knew was crazy, especially considering he murdered her mother in cold blood. The mind just tended to forget convenient things like that sometime.

Her attention is drawn to the front door as it opens, revealing her dad behind it. "Kalila," he said like he was shocked to see her sitting on the couch, still in her pajamas and binge watching Netflix.

"That's me?" she said like a question, cocking an eyebrow at him as he sat down nervously on the arm of the loveseat, wringing his hands. "Is something going on?" she asked, sitting up to get a better look at him and how he was acting.

"I have to tell you something." He said that, but was silent for at least a minute.

"And that is?" she asked sarcastically, but the truth was that anything her father couldn't tell her was something that made her nervous, and this seemed to be something that he couldn't tell her, or rather, really shouldn't be telling her.

"Sorry, just..." he trailed off. "I was helping Jenna set up for that Bachelor Auction I'm doing tonight." She rolled her eyes but he just continued. "And she told me that Elena found out who her birth mom was." He pulled out his phone, tapping it a few times before handing it to her. "This is the picture she showed me."

Kalila's breath caught in her throat as she stared at the picture. Isobel Fleming. "No..." she whispered. She had looked at that picture multiple times, not only in the past two years, but her whole time growing up. She remembered seeing it right on her mom's senior picture page in her yearbook. She had practically memorized the image, and yet, this couldn't be true.

"She's lying," she immediately stated, handing back his phone.

"I don't think she is."

"Why would you think she's telling the truth? She has no proof or anything." Her eyes then widened in realization. "You already knew about this, didn't you?" She stood up as she spoke, pointing an accusatory finger towards her dad. "And you kept it from me this whole time!"

"Kal, no, I just found out like you," he attempted to reason with her, but her mind was entirely past reason at that point while it was running at nearly a million miles a second. Elena's birth mom wasn't her mom. There was no way. She looked nothing like Elena, and she definitely didn't get any of her looks from her blonde dad. But maybe Elena did, is what her inner voice tried to say, but she blocked it out.

"This is all a lie," she said, not willing to believe anything else.

"It's not, Kalila."

At that, she started crying, sinking onto the couch and curling up in a ball. Her dad was next to her in seconds, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "I'm not Elena's half-sister," she said through heaving breaths as she tried to calm down. "There's...there's no way."