25

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE ˎˊ˗

"What the hell happened?" Stefan asked as soon as he saw Kalila standing on the porch waiting for him, arms crossed over her chest.

She shrugged, eyes wide. "I have absolutely no idea." She stuttered over her next words. "I-I watched Damon leave, I came back inside and fell asleep, and the next thing I knew, Elena was screaming over Jeremy's body and Damon was leaving through the doorway." Kalila counted the events off on her fingers, absolutely at a loss as to how kissing Katherine led to killing Jeremy.

"Oh, God," Stefan groaned, running his hands down his face in frustration. "Okay, I'll go talk to her."

Kalila nodded, moving down the porch steps as she spoke. "Alright, I'm going to go talk to Damon."

At those words, Stefan's hand gripped her wrist and spun her around, pulling her back to him. She looked up at him, breathless. "You can't go talk to Damon. He could kill you too just as easily."

She held her hand up, wigging her finger. "I have my ring."

"Which Damon knows about," Stefan corrected, his hand still on her wrist, the warmness of his skin touching hers distracting Kalila completely. She gulped, hoping her heartbeat wasn't too fast. "That puts you in even more danger because he'd take it off.

Kalila shook her head. "No," she whispered carefully, fully face-to-face with Stefan and aware that Elena could see them at any second. "Damon is my best friend. He wouldn't kill me."

"Kalila, we don't know that."

"I do," she sighed. "I do know." He just gave her a look. "I know you think I'm crazy. And yeah, maybe Damon will hurt me. But he will heal me right after, Stefan. He had every chance to when I followed him out.

Stefan just sighed, finally relenting as he removed his hand from her wrist. "Kalila." His hands moved to her cheeks, thumbs rubbing her skin in comfort. The two stared at each other, no words being exchanged between them. Kalila knew what she wanted. She just couldn't.

She pulled away abruptly. "Uh," she stuttered out. "I should...I should go."

Stefan's shocked look was quickly contained as he just nodded in response. "Yeah. Yeah, just call me later."

"Okay," she managed to get out before rushing down the rest of the porch steps and heading to her car.

She immediately pulled her phone out as soon as she got the door closed, hands shaking as she unlocked it, inputting an all too familiar number. "Damon?" she asked as soon as he answered.

"Kalila," he replied gruffly. "If you couldn't tell, I'm not really in the mood for your Saltzman branded therapy sessions."

She rolled her eyes, thankful that he couldn't see her annoyance. "You're at home, right?" She knew that responding to his comments would only rile him up more, and that was not something that would help her situation at all. "It's all okay; Jeremy was wearing a ring." She could hear an exhale of breath on the other line, but no response still. "I'm going to guess by your lack of response that you are at home, and I'll be there soon."