02

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER TWO ˎˊ˗

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER TWO ˎˊ˗

Kalila's lunch hour was almost over by the time she finally found her way outside into the courtyard. In the time before her online school days, she went to tiny schools in North Carolina that were shaped like a square with only one floor. Mystic Falls High school was a whole other playing field for her.

Despite this, she could find the silver lining in the fact that it wasn't that she didn't try to make friends, but that it was far too complicated to get to the courtyard for her to even attempt.

Still, she looked out across the courtyard to see if anybody looked interesting enough to have information. She was quickly snapped out of her stream of consciousness by the sight of a petite girl struggling against a much taller and older raven-haired man. She looked around to see if anyone else was going to do anything, but they were all just passing by, probably wondering the same thing as her.

Determining that it was between her intervening or her letting a dangerous situation escalate, it was easy to make a decision, and her legs move her before her mind is even aware of it as her breath gets loud in her ears, the anxious part of her reminding her what she was about to do. It didn't matter though. As soon as she was close enough, she did just what her dad taught her. Line up the fist, bring it back, throw the punch, and follow through.

Honestly, it wasn't nearly as cool-looking as she felt. The tall and angry man did stumble backwards at the complete shock of the punch, but he didn't seem at all fazed by the pain. Plus, the follow through took her completely off balance, and she would have fallen if the petite girl she was standing up for wasn't there to catch her.

"What the hell is this, Bonnie?" the angry man asked to the girl now standing behind her, who apparently was named Bonnie. She didn't answer, and when Kalila turned around, the girl had an equally shocked and confused look on her face that the angry man did.

Unfortunately, even that quick second was plenty of time for the angry man to get directly in Kalila's face. Startled, she flinched as he threatened her. "Are you really trying to be the hero here?" He scoffed. "I could kill you like that," he said with a snap of his fingers. "And not even think twice about it."

"Damon-" Bonnie tried from behind her, but was ultimately ignored.

So his name was Damon. What a lame name. She squared up her shoulders and looked him dead in the eye. "Then go ahead and do it." She walked forwards as he walked back wards, pointing a finger on his chest. "But if you didn't want to get punched, then maybe you shouldn't be harassing girls." She punctuated her sentence with a shove backwards, which barely did anything to him, but she felt like it still got the message across.

Damon didn't respond anything close to how she expected him to. He just smirked. "You're kinda scary for a tiny girl," he said, and then turned on his heel, and walked away. She must have lost sight of him in the crowd because he was gone within an instant.