08

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER EIGHT ˎˊ˗

"I still don't understand why Damon invited you to help open the tomb," Kalila's dad stated as he stood in their kitchen, pouring himself a glass of bourbon. "Especially because you can't actually do anything to open it."

She rolled her eyes but laughed, finishing the last few bites of her dinner of spaghetti. "Damon said, and I quote 'Tiny, you're weird as hell but you're also cool and capable,' and then that was that." She stood up to rinse her plate off in their sink.

"Why does he always call you weird?" She just gave him a look, gesturing to their surroundings. He nodded. "Yeah, okay, point taken."

Kalila laughed, packing up her bag full of weapons as she did so. The plan was to just get Damon's vampire girlfriend Katherine out of the tomb and then shut all the others in, but she wasn't fully confident on whether things would actually work out that way or not. She wanted to be fully prepared for every possibility.

She wore a black tank top with thin straps and incredibly ripped jeans complimented with muddy combat boots. Who needed high fashion when you were rescuing a bunch of vampires? She hoisted her bag onto her shoulder, grabbing her dad's car keys. "If you crash my car, you're grounded for the rest of your life."

"Okay, Dad." She honestly couldn't believe she talked him into actually giving her the keys to his car knowing full well that she didn't have her license. He couldn't come because it would be incredibly suspicious, and Damon couldn't pick her up from her house because, again, incredibly suspicious, so the only choice left was to drive his car to the outskirts of the woods and walk the rest of the way to join the others near the tomb under the old Fell church. "I promise not to crash and burn."

She moved to leave, but was stopped by her dad blocking her frame. He engulfed her in a tight hug, immediately cutting off most of her air flow. "Do not die on me or you're also grounded," he said, and when he pulled back, she could see a few tears welling in his eyes.

"I won't," she said, grabbing one of his hands with both of hers and squeezing tightly. "Stefan will be there. I'll be fine." Her dad relaxed a little. Stefan had become somewhat of an ally ever since her dad shot at him at the school that one night, which she realized sounded insane, but it was all either of them really had to go on, so she was going to take it.

The Damon-related guilt also hadn't subsided in the past few days, so to do something to help him out would hopefully ease that before he goes out of town with his vampire love.

"I will be back later," she said, meaning every word as she let go of her dad's hand, and he just nodded, letting her leave.

◇─◇──◇─────◇──◇─◇

"Tiny!" Damon exclaimed in greeting as she walked up the rest of the group.

"Tiny?" she heard Elena ask, but Stefan just waved it away like it was normal, which she supposed everything weird was normal to Damon.