Ch. 5 They must be near

Far away from Luna and her companions' destination is a grand forest called Mirkwood, which resides a beautiful kingdom called the Woodland Realm. The Second Elven King, Thranduil, currently rules over the land.

Many centuries ago, Thranduil lost his childhood friend, Celeste, from the deadly Dragon, Smaug. He has never forgiven himself for what happened to her to this day.

Every night, Thranduil lies on his bed, and he cannot slumber because when he closes his icy-blue eyes, the Elven King can only see Smaug's broadening grin as he witnesses his childhood friend get murdered in front of him with the Beast's fire breath.

Not only that, Smaug clawed half of the Elven King's face to remind Thranduil of that horrific day.

Many believed the scar faded away throughout centuries, but no one knows that Thranduil concealed his disfigurement with Elven magic for his only son, Legolas' sake. The Elven King didn't want his son to see him as weak if the young Elf saw his father's natural face.

The only time Thranduil allowed his natural face to appear was when he was alone in his chambers. He believes that if he sees his disfigurement every day alone, he does not deserve to be loved, and his life is entirely cursed to be forever alone with a darkened heart.

" It has been so many centuries since that Beast took my best friend," Thranduil whispered while staring at the ceiling with a blank gaze. " Why? Why Valar? Why are you keeping me alive?" He asked, looking and sounding frustrated.

" Have I not suffered alot? Is this some punishment for not saving my best friend? Do you enjoy seeing me go absurd?" Thranduil asked, looking and sounding confused and hopeless.

Thranduil sits up, and he turns his gaze to the window. His long straight silver-blonde hair fell to his shoulders, covering his unique birthmark.

" Please! Please give me a sign, Valar! Is there something worth for me to live?" Thranduil begged.

As a response, Thranduil's right shoulder became warmer than usual.

Thranduil pulls some of his long straight silver-blonde hair away from his right shoulder. His icy-blue eyes narrowed when he saw his unique birthmark glow.

 His icy-blue eyes narrowed when he saw his unique birthmark glow

" I see..." Thranduil whispered as he began to recall the moment he learned of the true meaning of his birthmark.

" Atar! Atar! Atar!" A very young Thranduil runs through the halls of his home, seeing his father, the first Woodland Realm Elven King, Oropher, walking and communicating with his advisor. [Atar means Father.]

Oropher and his advisor stopped walking, and they turned, seeing Thranduil looking scared and confused.

" What troubles you, my Yondo?" Oropher asked. [Yondo means Son.]

" What is this, Atar? I asked Celeste, but all she told me is that you will have the answer for this?" Thranduil asked while pulling up his right sleeve to reveal his unique birthmark on his right shoulder.

Oropher glanced at his advisor, and the other male Elf bowed and left the hallway to give them privacy. The First Elven King then looks back at his only son, and he kneels to look at him in the eyes.

" Yondo. When you came into my life, you appeared with a unique mark that no one had ever seen. All Elven have similar marks, which let us know the name of our other half. However, yours is different and unique, which isn't terrible. That mark is to let you know that you have another half," Oropher explained while gently placing a finger on Thranduil's mark.

" Another half?" Thranduil looked at his father with a confused gaze.

" Yes. Your other half or your Soul Mate as many call it," Oropher softly smiled, looking and feeling pleased that his beloved son has someone who would love and care for him.

Thranduil looks down at his Soul Mate mark with a bright smile. He looked delighted to hear that he had a Soul Mate.

" When will I meet them?" Thranduil asked.

" You will know when your Soul Mate is near when your mark begins to glow, and you will feel all warm inside," Oropher responded.

" I see," Thranduil's icy blue eyes sparkled, looking and feeling excited to meet his future Soul Mate.

A knocking sound grabs Thranduil's attention, and his disfigurement disappears, and a beautiful face appears instead.

" Who is it?" Thranduil firmly asked.

" Atar! It is I, Your Yondo!" Thranduil's only son and heir, Legolas, called out.

" Legolas," Thranduil's gaze softened as he grabbed his robes, and he draped it over his shoulders to cover his glowing Soul Mate mark.

The door opened, and a handsome young Elf with long straight silver-blonde hair and bright blue eyes entered the chambers.

" Atar. Would you be eating breakfast at the dining room or in your chambers?" Legolas asked while looking at his father with a conflicted gaze.

Thranduil opened his mouth to say something, but he stopped when he felt a throbbing sensation coming from his Soul Mate mark.

' Is my Mate in danger?' Thranduil asked, looking and sounding concerned and conflicted.

Thranduil immediately puts his left hand on his right shoulder, which his son notices.

" Atar?" Legolas calls out, looking and sounding concerned.

Thranduil falls to his knees, tightly grasping his right shoulder.

" Atar!" Legolas runs towards Thranduil, and he looks at his father with a concerned gaze. " What is wrong?" He asked, sounding worried.

" They must be near," Thranduil mumbled.

" Who is near?" Legolas softly asked.

Thranduil pulls his robes down, revealing his glowing Soul Mate mark on his right shoulder.

Legolas' bright blue eyes widened.

" Is that?" Legolas softly speaks.

" Yes. Yes. My Soul Mate mark. They must be near and in danger," Thranduil mumbled.

" Do not worry, Atar! I shall search all of Middle Earth for your other half," Legolas firmly speaks since he wants his father to be happy again since he knows his mother's death tainted his heart.

Thranduil's icy blue eyes intently stared at Legolas' bright blue eyes, which he inherited from Celeste.

" I-I do not want to risk losing you," Thranduil mumbled. " I-I should go instead," He slowly stands up.

Legolas gently wraps his arm around his father, and he helps him to his feet.

" Atar! You cannot leave the Kingdom unattended. Please, let me be the one to bring your other half to you!" Legolas firmly speaks.

Thranduil didn't know what to say to his son. He couldn't believe that after all these centuries, his Soul Mate had appeared.

" Do be careful," Thranduil whispered.

Legolas nods his head, looking and feeling determined to find his father's other half at any cost. He knows his father cares deeply for his mother and that her death affected him greatly. But, he knows his mother also wants his father to be happy and loved again.