Chapter 4 - The Goblins

~~~

第4章 子族(ゴブリン)

(Rimuru's Perspective)

As we take our first step to the outside of the cave, we're greeted by the gentle, warm rays of sunlight. It's late morning on a day in late winter. One hour is left before the sun reaches its culminating point.

Although the sun is already up high, the air temperature isn't that high due to the current climate condition, so I don't feel a need to activate my [Natural Elements Nullification].

Since we're turning our aura off, some mindless beasts might target us. Such is my thought exactly when a boar abruptly (not really) appears from our right side and is about to attack us by jumping, trying to pounce on us.

I instinctively let go of Ciel-san's hand. I lower my stance and unsheathe my sword, quickly swinging it diagonally upwards.

My sword cuts cleanly through the boar's neck, splitting its body and head apart in the middle of air. It is one of basic moves in Oboro-style swordsmanship, [Oboro: Ryūsuizan]. A swift, single slash released with a high speed like a rushing stream of water.

(A.N., Oboro Ryūsuizan is written as 朧流水斬 in kanji, meaning "Haze: Stream Slash" or often translated as "Crestwater Slash")

I shake the blood off my sword and sheathe it back. I eat the boar's corpse with [Azathoth] and save it somewhere in [Imaginary Space] in case that we'll need it someday. I look around, observing the forest trees surrounding us.

Hmm...this is a perfect opportunity to see if I've really learned a thing or two from my 'cramming session'.

I focus myself, increasing the detection power of [Universal Perception] to the extreme level—according to my standard—and trying to grasp the surrounding conditions as widely as I can—without Ciel-san's help. I try to perceive everything within the distance as far as my own computational ability can reach.

As expected.... Even within a radius of a few kilometres from my current position, I can already tell that the activities of monsters inside the Great Forest of Jura have exponentially increased.

No good. Different from what I usually did where I just ignored what I don't want, this time I try to grasp literally everything inside my perception area. This tremendous amount of information feels like going to overload my mind if I keep this going. I don't know if a complete spiritual lifeform like me can actually experience something like that, but I can certainly feel a great strain on my mind; and it almost feels like a real headache.

Ciel-san is the only one who can utilize [Universal Perception] to its fullest potential. She might just be able to do what I just did while doing some other things, and still manage to get all of them done in less than a few seconds.

I decrease the level of my [Universal Perception] back to minimum, sighing.

"What happens, Master?"

"Nothing." I just shrug it off.

I look at Ciel-san's clothes, then at the clothes I'm currently wearing.

Oh, that's right. I forget that we are still wearing the exact same outfits. "Ciel-san, if we are to meet our friends later on, they'll have to be able to tell us apart, won't they? So, can you change your outfit?"

Actually, our eyes' colours would be enough already. But I think wearing a different outfit can give a more contrast distinction, especially if seen from distance.