Chapter 11 - The Spymaster's Observation

~~~

第11章 隠密隊長の観察

The sun has risen, unveiling the curtain of night that has been enveloping the world in darkness. 

In a commercial area located at the southern part of the Armed Nation of Dwargon, standing is a masked woman on the roof of a building. Her hair is light blonde. The irises on her eyes have the colour like that of an emerald. Her long, pointed ears indicate that she is the of the Elven race.

For a whole night, she has been standing there, observing the surrounding area with the main focus being another building—an inn, to be exact—located just across the road from her position.

It all began since the previous morning. 

A commotion had happened at the entrance gate. After everything seemed to have been settled, a rumour was spreading rapidly among passing travellers and many citizens in the southernmost area of the nation. 

There were these two mysterious bluish-silver-haired girls who were said to be able to barehandedly beat up two sword-wielding thugs (or some called them "predators") whose bodies were much bigger than them. Those girls had astonishingly attractive faces. But once they were pissed off, they would become so dreadful, enough to make the thugs frozen in fear—so the rumour said.

The elven woman, who happened to be observing the southernmost area near the entrance gate, was interested in this rumour. According to what she heard, it looked like the girls and the thugs had been brought to the security guards' office for interrogation.

She submerged herself into her own shadow, disappearing from sight. More than a hundred metres away from there, she had already re-emerged from the shadow formed by the morning sun shining through the security guards' office.

As a spymaster who had been serving the nation for a long time, dark and illusion magic was her greatest expertise. After casting concealment magic, she went into the office building while hiding her presence as much as possible then began to eavesdrop the interrogation while utilizing the full capability of her [Magic Perception] to increase the accuracy of information that she received.

Much to her surprise, even though [Magic Perception] had been used to the best she could, she felt literally nothing out of the girls, as if they were just normal human girls with nothing out of ordinary.

If they were Enlightened or Saints, it would be one thing. They did sometimes let out an intense aura, enough to ignite people's fear. But how could "normal" humans do that? It didn't quite make sense.

Your everyday people perhaps would simply be amazed at the apparent fact that they were just "normal" human girls—humans who had yet to evolve into the realm of Enlightenment—but with a physique far surpassing that of the majority of full-grown adult. But for her, one who had been experienced in so many espionages and secret investigations, it was something incredibly abnormal.

Her vast experience as the spymaster of Armed Nation of Dwargon for a long time had polished her instinct to its finest. She immediately deduced that this was not something to be ignored. She felt like they could be a threat to this nation if they were to be left alone. With that in mind, she decided to keep an eye on them.

...

The result of interrogation came out just a few moments later: the girls won the case.

The interrogation itself didn't take a long time because the thugs admitted their misdeed right away without even a single attempt to lie. The thugs were convicted with two-month detention then would be exiled to their home country for further judgement. The girls were allowed to go free after the captain of security, Kaidou, had apologized for the inconvenience that they had experienced in this nation.