Chapter 16 - Start of Disturbance

Important Foreword (2/25): I've made some big revisions in the 14th chapter in response to my own finding that some parts of it contradicted what were mentioned in the previous chapters. 

All of the revisions are regarding the description of time duration, moon phases, and date time. More detailled explanation will be given in the chapter in question, at the newly-made afterword parts. But long story short, I did it because I found some fatal mistakes after doing quite an extensive re-checking on my own fanfic.

I'm sorry if I often made revisions as if I didn't have a strong foothold when writing. Those mistakes often made me overthink it, so the most I could do was to revise them so I could get rid of this "overthinkingness".

The second arc, the "Orc Lord Arc" has begun.
第2編、「豚頭帝(オークロード)編」が始まりました。

~~~

16章 騒乱の始まり

A malicious plan arranged by a certain Demon Lord has begun without almost anyone realizing it. In an area within the Great Forest of Jura, near the lands of the Demon Lords, a tremendous number of pig-like creatures are prepared to raid the forest.

From a wasteland that once was the dominion of the Orcish Kingdom of Orbic, two hundred thousand orcs begin their march, ready to destroy and devour everything in their way.

(Rimuru's Perspective)

The sound of trees being chopped and nails being hammered echoes throughout the forest.

About five weeks have passed since our first step out of our old village. Ciel and I are strolling through our currently-under-construction town as usual, seeing how our citizens are doing.

Because the outline of our town has been designed with nigh-perfection, only a little to none revision needs to be made. As such, the construction workers are able to do their job much faster. Moreover, with a surplus of workers that we have from having seven tribes instead of five and sixteen dwarves instead of four who are guiding them, the development of our town speeds up dramatically.

The new town and its houses begin to take shape. Some buildings for crucial purposes like warehouse, meeting quarter (temporary), and public kitchen have been built completely prior to the houses. The ground area on which we lay our town has been cleared. We have successfully laid out our water and septic system.

We didn't cut all trees, obviously. If we actually cut all trees down, our town wouldn't be in harmony with the nature anymore like what we had planned before. We only cut those that were in the way and actually needed to be cut. We also intentionally left out some trees and other plants to build a sort of park where everyone in town can relax in later on.

The water system takes the direction of its flow from the river we're adjacent to. We've planned to have water-processing building as well. It is nearly completed by now. That'll be where the river water is purified and distributed to the citizens' houses.

As for the septic system, we've built a large chamber out of wood that we plan to bury in the ground. Its inner surface has been treated to improve its resistance against rotting then reinforced with cement. That's been completely worked on. We were quite lucky since we could find some quicklime-type materials off the nearby hill.

Another building outside our town is a waste-processing facility where we plan to make the fertilizer we want.

In addition to this, I've had the crew build a large temporary building resembling a gymnasium. It's the place where they can sleep in during the construction period. It's rather slipshod since it's not intended to be permanent, but it does the job well.