-Living Quarters-

"Of course, your highness."
Once I responded, I saw a little flicker of light go off in his eyes.
I could tell he was trying not to get excited.

"Is there something I can assist you with?" I decided to ask, still a bit unsure about the situation.

"Well it's not really about me, it's just that—I want to get to know you! Can you tell me a little about yourself?" He questioned while tilting his head to the side.

"I can try best however, I'm not sure how interesting it will be-"

"Perfect!" He clapped his hands in delight as he lead me to a small table near the open window.
I carefully took the seat across from him and he poured me a cup of tea.

Could I get in trouble for this..?

"Please, tell me what life is like outside of the castle." He requested, taking a long sip from his cup.

"Well it's nothing that special. When I lived in the village, I'd have to go to the market every morning to get fresh produce. I'd have to cook all of my meals, but for the most part I enjoyed it. The town is lovely and everyone is very polite."
I wasn't sure what else to say, everything was happening so fast. To my surprise, Prince Gon appeared amazed.

"It's sounds so different from life here. I wish I could see if for myself." His longing glance shifted to the window. The light reflected from his hazel eyes as his expression turned sour.
"That day will never come to be, will it?"
The breeze weaved through his thick hair while I thought of a response.

"I'm afraid not, your highness."
I almost felt bad for him He's been trapped here for his whole life, and it will continue that way.
I began to formulate ideas on how to kidnap him as he continued to speak.

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't born into this family. The expectations and rules can be just so suffocating..."
His eyes remained fixated on life outside of the castle for a minute until he suddenly locked eyes with me.
"Enough about that though. Please tell me more about your life. Tell me more about you."
His smile beamed from across the table, I didn't know how much longer I could stay here.

...

After around 25 minutes of talking about growing up here, he finally seemed satisfied.
"Well, if everything was to your satisfaction, I must be going." I said standing up and lightly brushing myself off.

"Awww so soon? What else do you have to do?" He whined.

"I need to move into my new living quarters.  I'm moving into the small room next to yours. That way, I can help you whenever I must." I finished.

"Okay, that's a valid excuse.."

"Thank you very much for inviting me to tea." I bowed in respect. "Now, if that is all, I shall be going. Notify me immediately if you need something."
I made my way across the room and to the door. As I slowly closed it behind me, I caught a glimpse of his face.
For a reason I was unaware of, he looked terrified. I could tell he was my age, but he looked like a child. A scared one at that. It caught me off guard since he had only been smiling since the moment we met.
Part of me wanted to go back in and ask, but I had more important things to do.

Almost 3 hours later;

Once I had finally moved in all of my stuff, I was able to breath a sigh of relief. People in the castle weren't able to have many possessions since the rooms were so small, but I still enjoyed decorating my room. I kept as many things as I could when I moved into the castle.
My new room though, was substantially bigger than my last. I even received a little care package since I was in a higher position now.
Being the princes compass had its perks, but I didn't dare loose sight of my mission. I knew what I was there for.

Suddenly, I heard a knock at the door.
I rushed over and opened it.
It was one of the servants I used to work with.
"Good evening Compass Kana. Congratulations on your new position and higher rank. Please take this and give Prince Gon the other half."
She then handed me a small velvet box that had my new title in gold letters.

"Oh..thank you."

"I'll be off then."

I think her name was Canary..?
I then closed the door and slowly opened the small box I had been given.
Inside, was a gold handheld compass. The bright and shiny arrow shifted as the subtle clicking sound filled my quiet room. Next to the compass, was a small golden necklace with yet another compass. With further inspection, the necklace had a small button on the back of charm, and when pressed, a quiet almost doorbell sounding alert would go off in the larger compass. This way, if Prince Gon needed anything, then I could be there.
After figuring out how it works, I decided to deliver it to the Prince.

Once I exited my room, I hesitantly knocked on his door; awaiting his approval to enter.
Only after hearing a quiet "come in" did I open the door.

"Good evening, Prince Gon. I've come to give you our form of communication. Allow me to show you how to use it."

"Ohh how cool!" He responded excitedly.
After I was able to show him how to use it, we were able to test it out a few times.
"This is so cool! I didn't have anything like this with the old Compass. I'm impressed you figured it out so fast, you must be really smart!" He remarked.

I felt warmth rise to my cheeks. My eyes shot to the ground and I was unable to meet his gaze.

I've never been complimented by someone in the castle before, let alone the prince...

After I was able to collect myself, I responded;
"It was my pleasure, your highness."
After a moment of silence, I looked back up at him. His whole face was beaming, he showed the most genuine happiness I had ever seen in my whole life.
I had no idea someone could appear so happy.

He had the kind of smile that made someone want to smile back.

I hadn't known him for long, but I kinda liked that about him.