-Changing-

Two weeks or so pass after the ball and fall has come. Me and the prince spent our days admiring the changing leaves and colorful trees. The town became decorated with dead leaves and the prince's room grew colder and colder.

One morning, as I walked into his room, he was crouched down beside the table. I made my way to him and asked what he was doing.
"There's a ladybug in my room! I want to set it free." He said as he scooped up the small insect in his hands.

"Wow it has so many spots!" I said, admiring the little thing. We both watched as the sweet little bug crawled around Prince Gons hand. It then suddenly spread its wings, preparing to fly. I jumped back in fear as the prince yelped and swiftly cupped his hand over the bug. We both sighed in relief and decided we should set it free as soon as possible. To open the princes glass windows, I had to scan my servants badge. It was probably put there to keep the prince in and keep enemies out. It's good all of the glass windows and doors in the castle is bullet proof.

I creaked the window open and the prince gently allowed the ladybug to crawl onto a nearby vine. It sat on the leaf until it worked up enough energy to fly back down to the ground. We both admired the sight and eventually closed the window because of the chilling wind.
It had already gotten so cold, I didn't even realize.
We spent the rest of the day chatting and admiring the outdoors.

"Say, what's your favorite season?" He asked me suddenly.

"Hmm...probably fall. I've liked it since I was a little kid. Playing in the leaves was always my little sisters favorite—of course I was in charge of racking them into a pile just for her to jump on it. It was her favorite thing to do, so I didn't mind, not at all."
I found the smile that had crept up on my face soon vanish. The only problem with reminiscing on sweet memories is the craving to experience them once again.

"You must really miss her. I don't blame you, having siblings must be wonderful." He smiled pitifully, as if searching for the right way to respond.

"It is...but it's hard to look out for them. My sister....they rarely acknowledge her. They don't even consider her human. They'd probably kill her if her powers weren't a huge asset to us..." I sighed exhaustedly. "It's another thing I have to worry about...I hope she's doing alright since I'm not there to protect her.."
A tight pain filled my chest until I began to speak once more.
"What's your favorite season?"

"Oh! Definitely spring! The summer is nice too but it can't get really hot. I love the spring though it's just perfect!" He responded joyfully. "It's so far away though!!" He then suddenly pouted.
It's strange how much his expressions change. He's constantly full of energy and life, his demeanor was hard to grasp. I could never know what he's thinking.

"You seem like a spring person." I responded.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He spoke, now suddenly angry.
We bickered back and forth until there was a sudden knock at the door. Before he could speak to let the person in, I suddenly felt defensive.

"No no, I'll go get it." I got up and quickly got to the door. I opened it just wide enough to let myself out and then promptly closed it behind me.
"On behalf of the prince, I will assist you. What is it you seek?" I questioned with all of the authority I could muster.

"I apologize for the interruption, there is a letter for you Compass Kana."
As I was handed a letter by one of the servants, I read the fine cursive.

To my Son, Kana

I accepted the letter and dismissed the servant. Instead of going back to the princes room, I went to mine. Once the door was closed, I began to unfold and read the letter.

Kana,

I only write this message to hear of your great work in the Freecss Kingdom. Please enlighten me on your great accomplishments and all that you have done as the new Compass.

I hope to hear from you soon,
Your father

I felt a chill run through my whole body as the note concluded. I was expecting to hear from him eventually, but I hadn't really done much since our last letter. I frantically fumbled through my things to find a paper and pen. I formulated my response as my messy, quick cursive began to fill the page;

Dear father,

Overall, my newly appointed status has given me the opportunity to do amazing things. I have not only been able to serve the Freecss and express my gratitude for their protection, but I've met and befriended the prince himself. Though I've made progress, I haven't reached my full potential yet. I hope to have more success within the next year or so.

Your son,
Kana

Tears rose to my eyes as I bolted to the post office in the castle. A sense of reality filled my chest and my mission sank in. My true mission. As I got to the post office, my head raced with thoughts;

Everything that had happened so far has been like a dream...

And it's time to wake up.
You cant keep getting caught up in these feelings...you know what your mission is

I understood. New thoughts filled my head and I understood. It's been so difficult to put it into action but this is my mission.
For my kingdom. For my family. For my father.

And I will complete it.

I slipped the envelope into the "to be mailed" slot.

No matter what it takes.