-Visitors-

Me and the prince immersed ourselves in fall with little trips to the garden and fresh apples.
It was lovely.
Weeks flew by and I began to look forward to my time with the prince. It had become a little more bearable...

But I couldn't get my mind off of the letter I had sent.
I constantly checked the mail room and asked the other servants if I had received anything new. I was frantic and on edge. I was finding it difficult to enjoy any time at all without thinking about my father back at home.
The fear in my chest sustained until mid fall.

I had gotten news of a visitor.

They were waiting in a private room for me off of the royal quarters.
Who could be here to visit me..?

I was lead by a couple of servants to the room and I walked in alone. As I entered the room, and unexpected familiar face took me by surprise.
"Big—Kana!!" She yelled suddenly jumping into my arms. She held my sides tightly before I could even react and realize who was here.

"A-Alluka..?"
I felt my eyes sting with tears as I suddenly hugged her tightly in return. Only then did I realize she was in rags and shoes with holes in them. Her hair was tied back with a string and dirt was smudged on her face and skin. She had grown up so much, I hated how much I had missed. She had become such a beautiful young woman.
After I took in her familiar scent and voice, I noticed my brother.

"It's nice to see you, Kana."
I didn't want and didn't expect to see him as well, but It was worth it to see Alluka again.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" I asked, smirking. Me and Alluka then went to join him at the table he was sitting at.
Alluka never let go of my arm.

"As your friends from the village, we wanted to see how you were doing. Me and Allu wanted to give you some encouragement for completing your task."

I couldn't wrap my head around what he was trying to get at. I understood I haven't finished yet but that was no reason for father to send them to help me.

"I know you've been struggling at this. And I know how much you must miss seeing Allu. Once you complete your task, you can come back to the village and spend more time with us." He said coldly, keeping character. "I know what you've been doing here and I don't see your task being completed any time soon."

My heart nearly stopped beating. His deep black eyes pierced through my soul as I shook in fear.

Does he really know what I've been doing..? No he couldn't-!

"That's cute of you to worry but I'm doing just fine for myself." I responded with all the seriousness I could muster.

"Don't lie-"

"I said I'm doing just fine." I cut him off eagerly, demanding his attention.

"...Understood." He said getting up from his seat and walking around to our side of the table. "However—" He then swiftly picked Alluka up by her tied up hair. Immediately, she yelped in pain.
"We decide what happens to Allu. So I suggest you take me more seriously."

Without thinking, I sharpened my nails to a point and cut the back of his hand deep, causing him to drop Alluka back into her seat. He jumped away swiftly and we maintained our distance, us both never breaking eye contact.
"You may have Allu, but I have the fate of the Kingdom in the palm of my hand." I bluffed. "So I suggest you play nice."
Of course I could use my position to my advantage but Alluka was more important to me. I could never betray her. I could never put her in danger like that.

"Then I suppose this is goodbye for now." He started for the door and beckoned Alluka.
She looked at me as tears welled up in her eyes.

"Look at me Allu." I said kneeling down on one knee. "I'll be back home soon and we'll spend every afternoon together. Just like we used to..."
She nodded in response and whipped at her tears. I took her into a tight embrace.
"I love you Allu. More than anything. Please, stay safe for me."

"I-I love you too Kana..." She responded between sobs.
As we parted ways, I patted her head lightly and gave her a brave smile. The type of smile that makes someone feel like it will be okay.

And just like that, they were gone.