Chapter 21

"What's your name, butler", said the duke in a chilly voice.

"I am called Jadon, my duke", replied the terrified butler who tried his best to maintain his facade of nonchalance.

*tak tak tak*

Tapping the top of the table with the nail of  his index finger slowly, the duke questioned him, expecting him to say the exact answer he had in mind, "Do you know why you're in my study right now?"

"Yes, my duke. I failed to protect the fourth young master from falling down the stairs and caused him severe injuries due to my ignorance."

"Bingo!", the duke thought. His eyes narrowing in a cunning manner which Jadon hadn't noticed.

How could Jadon not know? He has been thinking about the incident all night. With sleep-deprived eyes and traumatizing repeated flashbacks running through his mind all day. The state of his powerlessness. How could anyone even forget?

His hand was all sweaty and cold, shaking slightly, totally deprived of warmth.

He was continuously reminded of every single thing that happened that day. The way Mason brought paint brushes and a canvas with no paint to make an art piece. The way he 'accidentally' dropped the paint brushes when next to the staircase. The way the unmoving wheelchair 'unintentionally slipped' down the stairs while Mason was holding the wheels.

What was wrong with himself. How did he not notice anything wrong when nothing was right in the first place. Was I deluding myself all along? Yeah, I was. Mason has finally lost his will power to even live. 

"Yeah... How long have you been working here, you good-for-nothing butler?"

"....for more than five years, my duke."

"Since you've worked here for 5 years, I'll give you the freedom to choose your punishment yourself then." As he said this, the duke slid a piece of paper across the table to Jadon.

It was a document stating his acceptance of improper working and an accident caused by him. In another paper was a list of gruesome punishments of which Jadon had to choose from.

The lightest punishment was to get one of his eyes plucked out. Jadon looked at those papers and knew that there was no escape from the punishment for him.

He had to take the blame and become the sacrificial lamb lest they blame the duke again for child abuse. This family was using him as the scapegoat for their wrongdoings.

Jadon's head felt heavy and numb. Is this my punishment for not treating that little demon properly all along. No, the kid isn't the demon here, these people are. Why am I supposed to lose one of my eyes when these demons have caused more harm to Mason than me?

Jadon's arms trembled slightly. He asked for mercy to the person he hated now, "My duke, I will devote my entire life to the fourth young master. I will protect him with my life. Please give me one more chance. I know about the fourth young master more than anyone else in this house. I've served him for the past five years."

"You know him? YOU? Were you even taking care of him in the first place? He's so thin and malnourished and much shorter than other children his age. No Rodolite has ever looked as weak as him. What do you know about him when you couldn't even feed and teach him properly.

He hasn't improved in his education either. The Rodolites are well known for producing geniuses one after the other. But you, you have made a fool out of our Rodolite's hereditary intelligence."

".....my duke... I beg you my duke.... I am going to be married in a few months.... I really don't want to be handicapped before that.... I have to take care of my family and my future children..... As a father of four children, no one better than you would understand.... please my duke.....", Jadon's knees buckled and he kneeled as he said this with a quivering voice.

"......drag him out and pluck one of his eyes out and beat him till his beloved doesn't recognize him", the duke said to his secretary, Robin.

"My duke... M-my duke... you loved the late Madam so much..... the late madam would never allow this.... Please be merciful, my duke..... The late Madam is still watching from heaven....." Jadon cried. Tears streamed down his face as he blabbered words without thinking properly.

"Anne", said Maximus softly. He looked at Jadon and thought for once, what his wife whom he loved so much would really want.

Jadon, the guy who neglected Mason just like himself even after being paid for it. Was this guy worth another chance? Did he (Maximus) himself deserve another chance as a father?

"Call the guards and drag him out, Robin. I don't want his screams to be heard by Mason."

"MY DUKE PLEASE!!!... YOU C-CAN'T DO THIS TO ME!!!...THE MADAM-"

"Shut up lest you want to lose this job and your life", said the duke in a cold lifeless tone.

I know, I don't deserve another chance. But nothing can change the fact that I'm his father. I will redeem myself.

As Jadon was dragged out by the knights, the duke stood up to walk towards Mason's room. The room in the farthest corner of the house.

"Robin, clear out the best room closest to the dining room, library and my study and make sure it has the best view from its balcony."

"Yes, my duke. I apologize if I'm about to touch a nerve but the late duchess's tea room would be the perfect match for your demands after a few adjustments to its interior." With no signs of apology or fear on his face, Robin knew exactly what he was doing.

This time Robin was going to redeem himself too. Redeem himself from the time when he obeyed the duke and ordered all the servants to not help Mason when he had broken his leg and looked wrecked.

There should be more to his life and his job than just accepting someone's orders blindly.

The duke looked at the picture of his wife on top of his study table.

"Anne's room"

*sigh*

............................

"My name is Cheryl Aheizer. You can just call me Cheryl"

"And I am Chelsea Aheizer. Nice to meet you."

The introduction from the 12 year old and 10 year old sisters were casual and very ignoble. They looked very calm, cute and fresh.

The peaceful nature around them didn't alert Mason's nerves like the other kids in this new world did.

It was officially only the beginning of the third month since he arrived in this world.

"Hello, I'm Mason. Thank you for coming."

.....................

A/N - Hope you guys are doing well <3 Kinda wanted to give you guys a break from crying and being depressed. So smile, love. ; )

Btw what is your opinion about the duke redeeming himself?