1. The Smaller Encanto

It was 15 years ago that I almost died. My parents tried to leave their village that had been corrupted after the thousand day war but they came to a harsh stop when there was a flash flood at the river. They were swept away in the flood and I swirled above the water watching my two year old body float. I remember that there was a golden light and then the next thing I knew I was awake and surrounded by a bunch of strangers. That day I was given a miracle. I survived but that came with a price. A life for a life. That day I was reborn. The river saved me and gifted me the ability to bend water.

"Merella, come help with the dishes!" my adoptive mother says. My father and mother were the ones that found me and took me in with open arms. They never had kids so I really was their miracle.

"Coming!" I rush down the stairs and grab my apron.  "Hola Mama" I say. I head into the back room and bring out the dishes to the front of the cafe. I look out the window and see Mirabel running through the village with children following her like lost puppies. She singing her song again about her family and I giggle as I place the plates down. Mirabel and I have been close ever since I babysat for their family. I glide into the back room and go up to my mom. "Mama can I go help Mirabel now?"

"Si. Of course! Oh remember to bring your water!" she shouts after me. I grab my matching bag and run outside skidding to a sharp turn to follow her. I catch up with her and she beams and at me.

"Merella! Come join me." she waves me over and I join in with her singing. We dance around the village singing about everyones gifts. At the end we get to mine but I quickly skip over that because I was running late. Mirabel and I were going to babysit Antonio as their family made preparations for the ceremony.

"I'm excited for tonight are you?" She blurts out.

"Of course!" I giggle "Plus your mom makes the best food in town, but don't tell my mother that" We laugh and walk into the house.