24. Goodbye

Merella's POV
Being someone's girlfriend was a thrill I had never felt before. That feeling was quickly dulled when my family forced me to go say goodbye to Andres. His family was sending him to a military school. They were also going to follow him there so the whole family was moving. My stomach churned with nerves as my mother knocked on their door. Andres mom opened the door and I was surprised when I saw him. His hair was shaved down into buzz cut. His face was grim and the shine in his eyes was gone. No matter how much he hurt me, I still felt a slight pang of sadness for him.

I shook my head to get rid of those thoughts and smiled at Andres mother. I pulled her into a quick hug saying, "It was so nice to meet you." She smiled back at me quiet as a mouse. The next day their house was empty. I sighed a breath of relief. Andres was gone and wouldn't be able to creep me out anymore. Camilo and I could do whatever we want without anyone judging us. I smiled to myself as I noticed one violet on the windowsill. I picked it up with a smile. As I twirled it in my fingers I heard someone call my name.

"Merella down here!" Camilo shouted up. I smiled down at him as he quickly shifted to pick
me up out of my window. He always looked so weird when he did that. It was like his legs were super stretchy jello. "Hola mi vida." he said with a chuckle. I hugged him quickly but then had to go help Isabella with her flowers. Ever since her powers disappeared she liked to keep a garden where she actually grew plants with hard work. She said it gave her happiness like she accomplished something great.

"Hola Merella." Isa said with a smile. I waved at her while quickly bending some water out of a near by puddle. "Thanks for helping." She said. I smiled back at her and poured the water over the little sprouts. Then she stood back with her hands on her hips.

"Looks amazing Isa." I said as she beamed with pride. Her new hair looked so good and it definitely made her eyes pop more.

"Merella do you want me to put color in your hair?" She asked. I blushed because she must have noticed me staring. Then I nodded and she giggled. Pulling me into her room she quickly puffed my hair full of color. I turned to look at myself in the mirror and was shocked to see myself. The colors of the blues and the pinks complimented my eyes so much. I smiled ear to ear as I thanked Isabella. Then I ran to find Camilo.

"Merella?" I heard a familiar voice ask. I turn and see him. Camilo was looking at my hair with a blank face. I couldn't read his emotions for the life of me. I tugged at my hair suddenly racked with insecurities.

"Do you not like it?" I asked quietly. Camilo shook his head almost as if he was in a daze.

"No mi vida, I love it!" He said as he picked me up and twirled me in a circle. We laughed as he set me down. He smiled down at me saying, "Merella your hair looks so beautiful. It totally is your color."

I smiled, "Right?" We laughed together while walking hand in hand. I smiled, so relaxed that we could finally act like a couple in person. But as I rounded the corner that happy feeling dissolved. I saw Alma and watched as the blood from her face drained at the sight of Camilo and I. I couldn't help but to wonder what I had done wrong.