31. Redemption

Merella's POV
I woke up right before the sun rose. I turned to Camilo, gently waking him. "Camilo we have to go back." I whisper. He groans and rolls away from me.

"5 more minutes." He mumbled. I smiled and moved his hair away from his face. I stood up and  started to gather my things. Quietly I placed some offerings at the crosses on the river bank. I wiped my eyes before tears fell. I hardly even knew them, but sometimes it still hurts. I sighed and turned back to Camilo who was now rubbing the tiredness away from his eyes.

"Morning sleepyhead. Like I said before we've got to go back now." I sighed. Camilo sat in a daze. I laughed to myself because he looked like a lost puppy. "Come on mi vida let's go." I said pulling him up. I held his hand and we headed back into the village.

I felt as though everyone's eyes were on us. Camilo gripped my hand tighter and pulled me along faster. We walked quickly to his house. We burst through the door. The whole family stood in front of us. Panicked faces quickly eased at the sight of Camilo.

"Camilo!" Pepa shouted running towards him to embrace. But before she could get reach him, someone else had already thrown themselves around Camilo. It was Maria.

"Oh my gosh Cami I missed you so much!" She squealed. I swear I threw up in my mouth a little. She was so cheesy it made me cringe. "Where did you go?" She asked with puppy dog eyes.

"Cut the crap Maria. You didn't even know he was gone until I told you." Mirabel spat out. Everyone turned to stare at Maria. She took turns looking at everyone separately, her eyes filled with desperation. 

"What? Why is everyone staring?" She asked like nothing was wrong.

"Get out of my house." Camilo spat out. Maria's eyes filled with tears.

"Fine. I didn't even want to marry you anyways!" She said throwing her ring at Camilo. By Camilo's smirk I could tell that he didn't want to marry her either. Camilo bent over and picked up the ring. I looked at it for a while and quickly realized how ridiculous it was. The gem was massive and the band was highly decorated.

Camilo laughed, "Don't worry I know this one isn't to your taste. I'll get you one that is as perfect as you." My heart beat raced with passion. Then Camilo swept me off my feet, spun me around and kissed me. Alma stared at us in shock. "You can stare all you want, I love Merella and there is nothing you can do to change my mind." And with those words the room went silent. All that could be heard was two hearts beating at the same time.