33. The Other

Merella's POV

I stared up at Camilo in fear. His eyes weren't his. It was like someone was inside him.

"You didn't think you were the only one that the water gifted abilities to, did you?" His voice drawled. The sound of it hit me like a brick to the stomach. It was Maria. Somehow someway she was in his body. "Come on Mer." She sneered, "Or should I say sister?"

"What?!" I spat out. My heart beat started to race. "What are you talking about?"

Maria smiled through Camilo. "You know exactly what I mean. Our parents tried to save me so they put me in a basket and floated me down the river." She paused. "They took you to drown with them." She said with a sly smile. My heart dropped.

"No. How would you even know that?" I asked. My eyes racked Camilo's face until I realized that of course I wouldn't be able to read it since Maria was inside his mind.

"Because I've been gifted by the water too. It's gifted me more than it has you." She sneered. Suddenly Camilo groaned and it seemed like he was trying to regain his mind. "Shit. Well it was nice chatting, sister." she scoffed. I watched as Camilo's eyes unglazed and looked at me. I ran over to him and helped him lay down.

"Mer what happened?" He asked weakly.

"Maria somehow was controlling you. She said she had been gifted by the water. Um she also said that she was my sister." I spewed out. Camilo's face paled with shock.

"Wow oh my gosh Mer I'm so sorry." Camilo sighed. He stood up weakly and hugged me. "I'm so so sorry Mer." He pulled out of the hug to look into my eyes. He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "Oh I forgot to tell you", he started as he leaned in, "I love your hair." I smiled and closed the space between us with a quick kiss. Then we fell asleep in each others arms.