6. The Proposal

Camilo's POV

I was so excited for the proposal dinner tonight because it meant that I would get to see Merella. I had even pulled up a chair for her and put it next to mine. Isabella seemed nervous about the proposal but Abuela says it'll be good for the family. I grabbed a soccer ball and went outside to wait for Merella. As I sat waiting I started to bounce the ball against the house.

"Hola Camilo." I turn around and I freeze up. It's her. Her hair is braided with flowers, she's wearing an ocean blue dress with and off the shoulder collar. Her eyes twinkled with excitement. Her cheeks were flushed. "Is something wrong?" She asks. I snap my head back up to her eyes and realized I had been staring.

"Yeah, I mean, gosh Mer you look stunning." I stutter. She laughs and walks up to me and I take a sharp breath in. She smells like violets and fresh bread. I smile down at her. I brush my hand against hers and then lead her inside. We sit next to each other and I can feel the warmth radiating off of her.

"Do you want some water?" I ask. She nods and I get up to go get her some. When I walk back into the room I hear her laughter ringing out. "Here you go." I say handing her the water. She thanks me and quietly sips it. I can't help but stare. In this moment I'm glad that Dolores can't hear my thoughts. I steady my breathing and turn back to the table. I try to pay attention to the conversation but then I feel something touching my leg. I tense at the sudden touch. I look down slowly and see Mer's leg brushing against mine. I take a shaky breath in and continue listening.

Dolores leans over to me and whispers "Mirabel was in Tio Bruno's dream and she's involved with the cracks." I cough and shift into at least three different people. Merella leans over and says "Camilo, fix your face." I do and I stare at Mirabel. At this point the news has gotten told to my mother and a cloud forms above the table. Merella hand grabs mine. I squeeze her hand and I watch her slowly start to panic.

"Deep breaths." I whisper to her, "Deep breaths". I pull her outside away from the noise. I led her to my favorite spot in town. It was a simple ledge over looking the whole village. "Come sit." I say patting the ground next to me. She smiles and sits next to me. It is in this moment that I realized that we were still holding hands. I tense up when her head falls on my shoulder. I smile and look down at her.

Mer whispers into my shoulder "I do need you Camilo."