Abuela

"What is your name?" The older woman asks.

"It's uh, y/n"

"That is beautiful dear" She waves her hand at the moustache man, signalling him to leave, "I am Abuela, and this is my home, my family"

Abuela motions to the house, almost as if she is trying to show it off. I assume that she and the rest of her family live here. Though it would be kinda weird for everyone in the family to live under the same roof, but whatever works I guess.

"I am not going to ask where you came from y/n" she says, this puts me at ease, I don't really want to talk about it either. "But I assume that you are here for a good reason, and considering that you came to my door, that you are a good person"

"yes ma'am" I say, very quietly, I'm not even sure she heard me.

"please, call me Abuela" she answers.

She motions to the garden with her arm and I follow. I silently walk beside her, waiting for her to start the conversation.

"Now y/n, my family isn't quite like yours" She says, not looking at me, but off into the distance, with a cold expression. "years ago, my family was given a miracle."

I don't say anything, she probably means someone in the family was very close to death, but was saved in some miraculous way. I wait for her to continue, this miracle is probably very important, since she took me outside to talk about it, yet I am a stranger that she has no reason to trust, so why would she be telling me this?

"We have these gifts you see? Gifts that regular people like you do not have" Abuela says, she turns her head slightly to see my reaction, which is just confused.

"What do you mean by gifts?" I ask, I wasn't sure if I should pry, but I was genuinely curious.

"Magical ones. We use these gifts to help the people of the village, to help each other" She gestures to the town that the garden overlooks. Abuela notices that I'm still confused and she says, "Just watch"

I look at the village, it looks completely normal. People roaming around, doing their normal daily tasks, sweeping, gardening, carrying donkeys. "wait what?" I accidentally say out loud. "That girl is carrying five donkeys at once"

"Ah yes" Abuela says calmly, "That is Luisa, quite strong is she not?"

I understand these gifts now, still in shock we sit down on a nearby bench. Abuela was about to say something when all of a sudden it started to rain. I attempt to use my hands to protect myself, but it doesn't work very well. How in the world did it start pouring so fast? There weren't any clouds!

"Oh dear" Abuela sighs, "Pepa must be in a bad mood" She then heads towards the home and I follow.

Inside the home is beautiful, flowers everywhere. But the house is moving, actually moving! The tiles, the stairs, the windows, everything! I back up a little, both scared and intrigued. Abuela walks inside and towards the moving stairs, I hesitate and before I can make up my mind wether to follow or not, the floor starts moving me itself, and forces me to follow. We go upstairs to a small room, with a candle in the window, overlooking the entire home.

"Abuela?" I say sort of hesitantly, "Where did this miracle come from?" I had so many questions, but I think this is a good one to start with.

"This" she replies, while gesturing to the burning candle flame. "This is where we get our magic, our gifts." She smiles with a sense of pride, that this candle represents her family.

I nod, how does a candle allow people to lift donkeys and control the weather? Who knows, but I don't feel like asking, so we move on. We head back down the stairs to the main entrance of the home, I realized that I still don't have anywhere to stay. Nervously I mention it.

"Um, Abuela? I was wondering if there was possibly an inn nearby that I could possibly stay at for the night? Then I could be out of your hair by morning."

"y/n there is no need to worry" Abuela replies, "you will be staying here"

So much weight fell off my shoulders. I took a deep breath for the first time in a long time and smiled. "Thank you so much, you have no idea how much this means to me" I tell her.

"You can stay with Mirabel in her room for now, just until we get you your own."

I quickly raise my hands and shake them in front of my face, in a no need sort of way, "Oh there is no need for that Abuela, I will find some place else to stay in a couple of days, I don't want to be a bother" I am already disturbing this town just being here, I really don't need this family to add on a whole other room for me.

"No you will stay here, with us, the Madrigals. We care about others and we are a family, you are young and you will have everything you will ever need here. I will get Mirabel, she can give you a more proper tour"

I smile and thank her profusely. She shouts for Mirabel and she comes running down. She looks to be incredibly kind and full of energy. Abuela tells her to get me a dry set of clothes and about the arrangements. I was afraid she would be angry or mad, but Mirabel smiles and claps her hands together. She then introduces herself to me, links her arm with mine, and leads me up the stairs.