Not Listening

A/N: Hey everyone. I've had a couple people mention to me about using they/them pronouns in my story. I apologize because I wrote the previous chapter very late at night and automatically used she/her pronouns, just because I pretend it's me while I'm writing. I don't have the time to go back and change every pronoun if I want to continue putting out frequent and good quality chapters, but in future parts I will use they/them. Again I sincerely apologize, I want everyone to enjoy my story regardless of what pronouns they use. 

Thank you for reading and I am always open to ideas and criticism, I'll be more likely to reply to your comment if it is sent to me as a private message. I read all your comments on this story and I find them absolutely hilarious. <3

Ok now back to the story!

~y/n's point of view~

I wake up and head down to breakfast with Mirabel. I take my regular seat next to Camilo, he's leaning back in his chair with his arms behind his head and has the biggest smirk on his face. I sit down, trying not to look at him, but I can't help but smile.

We eat our meal then go our separate ways, I spend the most of the day doing some basic chores around the Casita. Before dinner I head up to my room to get some quick reading done. I pass by Camilo, and I quickly glance towards him. I have to be careful because I can never be sure where Abuela is.

I lay down on my bed and begin to read. A short while after I hear a knock on the door. 

"Come in"

Dolores walks in and I sit up straight. 

"Hey Dolores, hear anything new about Camilo?" I ask, praying that maybe she heard something

She pauses for a moment, "No, not yet, but I'll let you know if I do."

I sigh and lay back down, "I just wish I knew why, you know?" I roll on my side to face her, "I know he's your brother, but I really like him, he's cute, and funny..." I look at the ceiling, "I wish I knew why I can't talk to him."

Dolores is silent

"Dolores, are you ok?"

Dolores then transforms into Camilo.

"Camilo? I should've known it was you! What are you doing?" I stand up from my bed and start freaking out at him. 

"Calm down y/n, I just wanted to know why you wouldn't talk to me"

"There was a reason I didn't tell you Camilo!" I'm annoyed now

"But you don't know why you can't talk to me either? What's stopping you?" He says, he moves closer to me

"You already know too much" I sit down on my bed.

"Please y/n, whatever it is we can figure it out together" He sits down next to me.

I don't say anything, we sit in silence together. I know we could probably make Abuela come to her senses, but it seems like too much hassle. 

Camilo breaks the silence, "So you think I'm cute?"

I forgot I had said that, "I was talking to Dolores, not you"

"So you do think I'm cute"

I place my head in my hands, trying to cover up my embarrassment.

"Don't worry" He says, "I think you're cute too"

I blush in my hands, trying to make sure he doesn't see, but he can probably tell.

I take a deep breath, "Ok, you know that night in the kitchen? When I fell off the chair?"

"Yeah"

"Well when you left, Abuela asked me to stay behind" I pause for a moment and looked into his eyes, "She told me to stay away from you, or else I'd be kicked out of the Casita"

Camilo says nothing, but I can tell he's angry behind his eyes. 

"Please don't say anything to her"

"Don't say anything?" He stands up from the bed, "Y/n she can't just tell you that! I've been in agony the last few days, trying to figure out why you've been ignoring me!" 

"I know, trust me I don't like it either" I say in a soft voice, trying to get him to calm down.

Camilo starts pacing around the room with his hands behind his head, "Who else knows?"

"Dolores and Mirabel" I say, "Mirabel was awake when I came back last night so I had to tell her."

Camilo comes back to the bed and sits next to me. He lifts his hand to my face and stares me in my eyes, "there must be something we can do"

I shrug my shoulders, "I really don't know Camilo," I say, "Dolores has been listening to try and hear a reason as to why Abuela doesn't want me near you, but she couldn't hear anything"

Camilo stays silent for a moment before he says, "Just ignore her"

"What?"

"Don't listen to her, pretend that she never told you to avoid me" he says, looking in my eyes

"I can't do that"

"Why not? If she kicks you out I'm leaving too"

"That's what Mirabel said" I laugh

He stands up and holds out his hand. I take it and we walk out of the room together. I feel so much better now that he knows, I wish I had just told him from the beginning. 

Together we walk downstairs to go eat dinner. I'm nervous but my hand in Camilo's makes me feel better. We walk into the dinning room and grab our food. We sit at our spots and I avoid eye contact with Abuela as I eat my meal.

I leave with Camilo before Abuela can stop me, we exit the Casita and head outside. It's sunny and warm. Camilo and I find a bench in the garden. I take a seat and Camilo lays down with his head on my lap as I read my book aloud. 

Once it starts to get dark we both head inside, Camilo drops me off at my room and he heads to his.

"What is going on?" Mirabel asks

"I told him what Abuela said, we are ignoring her"

"Sounds like fun, I'll make sure I'm watching when Abuela yells at you"

I laugh, "I just need to figure out why she doesn't want me talking to him, then maybe I can reason with her."

"Good luck" Mirabel laughs

Mirabel and I both go to bed. I close my eyes and hope for everything to be ok.

I toss and turn in my bed, not being able to sleep. It's been at least an hour and I'm not even a little bit tired. I sit up and think about my options. I look over to see that Mirabel is snoring loudly. I get up out of bed and head to the door.