What happens at night

"What, what's wrong"

Mirabel shushes me, "Be quiet just follow me"

I'm kinda loopy from just being woken up, but I follow her out of the room anyway. We sneak down the stairs and head outside. It's raining pretty hard, but it's quite humid so I'm not cold. The rain wakes me up so I'm no longer as confused.

"Mirabel what's going on?"

"I'm sorry y/n, I just needed to get you alone"

Mirabel then transforms into Camilo.

Shocked, I think of an excuse as quickly as I can, "I'm sorry Camilo but I need to go back to bed, whatever it is can wait till morning" I turn away from him and walk back towards the Casita.

"No it can't," Camilo grabs my arm and pulls me closer to him, "You've been avoiding me ever since that night in the kitchen, please just tell me what's going on"

I don't know what to say. Camilo is holding both my hands and he's staring deep into my eyes.

"I'm sorry if I did anything, I'll never do it again. I just need to know what it is" He says

"I can't tell you" I say, but I feel so bad, "I really wish I could but I can't"

"Is there more to your past? I don't care what it is, I just hate how you're avoiding me"

"No, nothing like that" I look down at my hands, resting in his.

I want to tell him so badly what Abuela said, but I know only bad things would come from it. I look up at him and he's still looking down at me. Water is dripping down his face as the moonlight shines on his skin. We both stand looking at each other as the rain slowly soaks our pajamas.

Camilo sighs, he lifts one of my hands and places it over his shoulder.

"What are you doing?" I ask

"Just stay with me here... just for a moment mi amour" He whispers

Camilo takes his newly freed hand and gently wraps it around my waist, pulling me closer, leaving almost no space between us. His hair is now drenched with water, and his white shirt is sticking to his body. I don't even want to know what I look like right now.

He leans his head down near my ear and softly begins humming a familiar song. I relax in his touch and rest my head against his chest.

He takes a step and I follow his lead. Together we slowly dance in the rain, under the moonlight. He holds my hand tight, and grips me close like he was never letting me go. As he hums in my ear, his warm breath sends shivers down my spine. 

I feel his hand resting softly on my lower back, I close my eyes and smile, praying this moment will never end.

His humming song slowly comes to an end, and I lift my head to look in his eyes. He glances towards my lips then back looks back into my eyes. I start breathing heavier. I remove my hand from his shoulder and Camilo can tell that I'm not quite ready for what he was planning to do. I start pulling away.

"Wait" he says in a soft voice.

I stop moving and he lifts his hand to my face. Camilo holds my jaw, with his fingers through my hair.

He smiles and carefully turns my head to the side. He slowly leans towards me and places a soft gentle kiss on my cheek. The touch of his lips sends sparks through my brain, causing me to almost melt in his arms.

We slowly break apart. Camilo takes a hold of my hand and we walk back into the Casita together. He walks me upstairs back to my room. He gives me a small smile and I look into his eyes as I slowly close the door.

I stand in the dark room with my back pressed against the door when a small light turns on.

I jump when I see Mirabel sitting upright on her bed.

"Heyyyy Mirabel"

"Hello y/n" she says, "Would you like to share anything?"

"How long have you been awake?"

"For awhile, It's hard to go back to sleep when you see yourself walk into your own room" She laughs, "How about you start by telling me why you're soaking wet?"

I change into a dry nightgown and take a seat next to her, I completely let go.

I start speaking so fast, I tell her absolutely everything that happened. The night in the kitchen and what Abuela said, to when he pretended to be Luisa. As well as tonight, the two of us dancing in the rain. But I didn't tell her about the kiss he gave me.

I stop talking and Mirabel says nothing. I look up at her and her eyes are wide open with shock and her jaw is practically on the floor.

"So I barely caught a word of that" She says, "How do you talk so fast?"

I look at her with a confused look on my face,

"Ok you're right that's besides the point" she laughs, "Abuela said what?!"

I nod my head

"Ignore her, do what makes you happy"

"She said if I kept talking to Camilo then I wouldn't be able to stay here"

"Excuse me?" Mirabel says, "Abuela doesn't rule this household, I say if you leave, I leave"

"You don't have to do that"

"I will if I have to, maybe that would knock some sense into her" Mirabel says.

I laugh, it feels so much better now that someone other than Dolores knows what I'm going through.

"Just don't tell Camilo, and please don't talk to Abuela"

Mirabel sighs, "I won't, but you should tell Camilo, I'm sure he would understand"

"I'm just afraid that I like him more than he likes me" I look at Mirabel, "What if after I tell him, he won't talk to me either?"

"y/n, you two were just outside dancing in the rain, I think he likes you too" She says

We both laugh and give each other a hug. I go to my bed and lay down, staring at the ceiling. I slowly fall asleep, dreaming of my time with Camilo in the rain, I just wish I knew what he was thinking.