Dinner Fiasco

The whole family is having their private conversations with one another, Mirabel and I are chatting quietly about the best fruit stand in the village,

"So once you see the church, that is when you take a left and-" Maribel is interrupted by another voice.

"Will you pass the cream?"

I turn my head and see Camilo looking at me, he then extends his arm and points across my body, to the bowl on my right.

"Oh" I say reaching for the bowl, I then place it in his hand and he adds some to his plate, before setting the bowl down again.

"Thanks for interrupting Camilo" Mirabel says in a sarcastic tone, "I thought you had better manners than that" she laughs.

"So sorry for not wanting to reach across our guest" Camilo rolls his eyes, "Is this better?" He says while leaning his whole body in front of me stretching his arm as far as he can to grab the bowl of rolls. I have to lean all the way back in my chair so that I don't touch him, yet his shoulder still brushes against my chest.

"Camilo" Mirabel says, "you know that's not what I meant."

He just laughs and continues to eat. I continue my meal until I see a rat come up to my plate, "AHH!" I shriek, pushing my chair from the table and standing up.

Everyone is looking at me, until a man with long dark hair stands up and reaches over the table and grabs the rat, "Sorry about that, he doesn't know manners yet" The man laughs awkwardly and sits back down, "I'm Bruno by the way" He smiles and waves with the rat still in his hand, then quickly tucks it away in his shirt pocket.

I take my seat again and look to see Camilo doing a poor job at hiding his laughter, I roll my eyes and look at Abuela who has stood up from her chair, "Ahh yes, I hope everyone has gotten the chance to meet y/n" She motions her hand towards me and I give the table a small smile.

"What in the world are you thinking Abuela" Isabela shouts and stands up, "This girl can destroy our family!"

"Isabela please" Mirabel tires to calm her down, "Not at dinner"

"No, you think that you and y/n are all of a sudden besties" Isabela points to me, "She is just trying to get close before she rips this family apart!"

"Isabela's right, who even are you?"

I turn and see Camilo looking at me, his dark eyes feel like they are staring into my soul, and his face is cold and angry.

"I promise I'm not here to steal any sort of miracle or hurt this family" I say trying to defend myself, "I just wanted to get away from my old home, I swear!"

"Camilo, Isabela" Abuela tries to intervene

"You were probably kicked out of your old home!" Camilo yells, ignoring Abuela, he turns to the whole table, "Who knows what she has done! We can't trust her!"

I can't take this, I stand up and storm out of the room, I don't know how I ever thought this dinner would go well, now I have two people who hate me. Walking away, I hear a faint, "Y/n wait!" But I run out of the Casita before I can see who it was.

I walk into the woods, I find a path and follow it, not looking where I am going. Back on my own I guess. I was a horrible person, Camilo and Isabela are right. I stole, lied, and cheated, everything that makes someone a bad person, I did.

I eventually come to a clearing where there is a small river. I find a rock, take a seat, and start to cry. I was so close to happiness, forgetting my past and moving on. But now it's all over. I was too caught up in my thoughts to hear someone come over from behind me

I look to my left and see Dolores take a seat. For a moment we just sit in silence, watching the running water.

"I don't hate you" Dolores finally breaks the silence, "I understand why you did the things you did, I would've done them too"

I look at her and give her a faint smile, "I would do anything for my family, I was so sad to leave"

"That must've been really tough, I couldn't imagine leaving my family." Dolores put her hand on my shoulder. "I think the others would understand too if you would just tell them y/n"

I look down at my feet, "They won't listen to me, it was bad enough that Isabela doesn't like me, but Camilo too?" I hug my knees to my chest.

"I think you should try talking to Camilo" she says, "He never thought anything wrong, he actually seemed to like you, and he was just agreeing with Isabela, you haven't even had a proper interaction yet"

That's true, the only times I've talked with him were when I thought he was Mirabel, then just now at the dinner table, maybe I can change his mind about me.

"Maybe I will Dolores" I say, standing up to my feet, "do you really think it will work?"

"I hope so, the more people you can get to trust you the better" she says, "but maybe this time, tell the whole truth, ok?"

I nod my head and smile, we both walk back to the Casita together, and enter the home. Everyone has already left the dinner table, leaving only empty chairs and crumbs, meaning I now need to go on a search for Camilo, without running into Mirabel or Isabela.

I walk around the Casita, hoping that Camilo isn't in his door. I don't think it's right to go in his room after what happened. As I just about scanned the whole house, I turn a corner and find Pepa.

"Hi y/n" she says, without showing any real emotion, so I'm not sure if she is happy or sad to see me.

"Hola Pepa, you haven't seen Camilo anywhere have you?"

"No, but I don't think he wants to talk to you anyways" she says starting to walk away from me, a dark cloud forms around her head.

"I know he hates me" I say, " but I want to tell him my story, so even if he still doesn't like me afterwards, at least he has a reason"

Pepa looks at me and sighs, "I think I saw him go out to the garden"

"Thank you, I'll tell you my story afterward ok?"

Pepa nods and shoos me away with a wave of her hand, and I run out the front doors of the Casita to go look in the garden.

I look across the garden, hoping to see the bright yellow of Camilo's shirt but I can't find him. I walk around the garden, looking behind trees and bushes but he is no where to be found.

Just as I am about to give up, I hear a voice come from behind me,

"You looking for me?"