[ 000 ] the big three.

— PROLOGUE.
the big three.

ODESSA WINONA GRIMES.

Odessa eyes a walker closely as she creeps into the room. She sucks in a sharp breath when she her foot lands on a creaky floorboard. The walker slowly turn to face her and when she catches sight of it, she can't help but gasp.

Its jaw is slack and it's missing its left arm. The bone in its left knee is sticking out. She gags at the sight of the disgusting walker.

It takes her half a second to regain her composure before she steps forward and stabs her monochrome matte black knife into its skull. She yanks it out and the rotting corpse drops at her feet. She sidesteps so that it doesn't hit her and knock her to the ground.

Carl, who has been watching silently from the doorway, steps into the room and nudges the walker onto its back so he van get a better look at what's happened to it.

"It could've fell down the stairs," he suggests.

"Yeah," Odessa kicks the walker gently, "that's what you hope happened."

"Gross," Carl grimaces at the dead thing.

When Beth walks into room she gags too. The smell alone is enough to make a grown man double over and vomit. "It's disgustin'." She says as she looks at the walker. "What do y'all think happened?"

She joins the siblings, grabbing hold of Odessa's hand, lacing their fingers. Odessa looks at her girlfriend and the corner of her mouth lifts. Then she looks back down at the walker and sighs.

"Fell down the stairs," the Grimes siblings respond at the same time.

THEODORE OLIVER BLAKE.

Theodore walks the roads of Woodbury with his hands shoved deep in his pockets. His shaggy blonde hair tickles his face. He needs a haircut, he'll ask Martinez for one later.

The people of Woodbury never bother Theodore if he looks like he wants to be alone. Once he lashed out at a woman for telling him he needed to go to the infirmary for the bruises on his face.

He cried when he got home because home does not feel like home. His father has heads in fish tanks as trophies, he has his dead baby sister chained in a dark closet. He hits his last living child like he is invincible.

Martinez and Merle and Milton all know what the Governor does to his son. Merle told him to man up, that he and his brother gone through that "abuse shit" as he calls it. Martinez offered Theo a spot at his place, he declined. And Milton simply does not intervene.

Theo kicks a rock, it rolls a couple feet before it stops by a foot. Theo looks up, only to see that the foot is connected to Merle Dixon. "Yer old man is lookin' for ya."

"I don't really give a shit," Theo shrugs.

"Don't let him see that," Merle then motions to Theo's black eye and busted lip that his father caused, "not unless you want somethin' worse."

COLE JERIMIAH TANNER.

Cole lives with his mother in a small apartment in Woodbury. His father died at the start of the Fall. A biter got him before they ever had the chance to understand what it was.

His own father was the first biter Cole had to kill. 

He had nightmares for the first couple weeks. Every time he woke covered in sweat and panting, his mother was there to comfort him. His mother, Angela Tanner, has a beautiful soul. She is kind-hearted, patient, caring, never ill-tempered.

She is the type of person that simply dows not belong in the new world. That's why when they found Woodbury, or rather Woodbury found them, Cole prayed to God for the first time in seven years. He told Him thank you though God did not listen to his child.

Cole hasn't prayed again after that. He and his mother are both safe behind the walls of Woodbury and for that he is forever grateful.

That is, until, Merle brings back three individuals and his life is flipped upside down.