[ 029 ] journey to terminus.

— TWENTY-NINE.
journey to terminus.

BETH KNEW ODESSA MADE it. She refused to believe anything else. Beth was lucky to escape with Daryl Dixon. He was the man that saved her girlfriend's life countless times. Beth was glad to be with Daryl.

She was just worried.

She was worried about Odessa and Maggie and Judith and Theo and Carl.

Beth knew Odessa could handle herself. She killed twelve people now. She killed over a hundred walkers. She knew how to survive.

But even Beth knew Odessa couldn't be alone right now. Not after what she witnessed at the prison. She knew how Odessa got when she lost someone. She never got over it. Odessa still grieved Sophia Peletier and Dale Horvath and Lori Grimes and Theodore Douglas and Andrea Harrison and even Shane Walsh.

And maybe she didn't cry. Odessa grieved in her own way. She would go out and kill walkers. She would leave the prison and climb a tree somewhere and just listen to nature. She would wind that stupid watch on her wrist.

The youngest Greene sat with her knees pulled to her chest in a cabin in the woods. Daryl stood by the window near her.

"You think the others made it?" She asked. "Odessa had to have made it. She's strong. Stronger than a lot of us."

"You know how she gets when she loses someone," Daryl didn't even look at Beth. "If she's alone, she ain't gone make it."

"Why would you say that?" Beth asked angrily. "You've treated her like a daughter for so long."

"I care about her. Just like a cared about your dad, look what happened." Daryl said. Beth stared at him, angered and shocked by his words.

"Why do you say things like that?" Beth stood to her feet. "Odessa is strong. My dad was strong—"

"And look at what happened to him!" Daryl nearly shouted. "Odessa gets bad when someone dies. She's gone do some dumb shit and get herself killed! You know it!"

"She's not!" Beth snapped. "She's better than that!"

"I saved her every time she did something stupid! When she ran off at the farm after Sophia came out that barn! I saved her when she saved Dale back in Atlanta! I saved her when the walker that got Dale started comin' after her! Me! I'm the reason that girl is still alive!" Daryl yelled.

"Daryl, shut up!" Beth cried out.

"Nah, you listen! I can say this because I know Odessa. I know her better than you do because I was Odessa at one point! Lost everything and I made stupid decisions that almost got me killed." Daryl breathed in. "I know this because we're the same person."

Beth stared at him, tears falling from her eyes. She didn't want to cry. She didn't cry anymore. Bud after her dad and the prison and getting separated from her sister and Odessa, she couldn't help but cry.

─────────

"Think it's still goin'?" Theo looked at Odessa who stared at the smoke drifting in the breeze.