[ 011 ] the people we lose.

— CHAPTER ELEVEN.
the people we lose.

BROTHERS. ODESSA KNEW HOW much having a brother meant. Odessa adored her brother. She would kill for him. She would give her life for him.

So when Daryl Dixon made his choice she understood.

She did point his gun at Merle's face. She did pistol whip him in the back of the head. And they all found out Andrea Harrison was alive and in Woodbury. With the Governor.

But then Daryl left with Merle.

And she understood. Odessa understood better than anybody else did. She would leave anybody behind for Carl and now her sister.

They wouldn't take Merle back at the prison. Not when he was the cause of this. There was too much bad blood between Merle and the others.

Odessa was upset about Daryl's departure of course. She would miss him. She would mourn the loss of him despite him only leaving.

They lost Daryl but they gained two more people.

Michonne and Theo returned to the prison with the group. Odessa eyed both of the warily. She didn't fully trust them but she was grateful.

So she reached for Michonne's hand. The woman flinched and eyed Odessa. But the girl squeezed Michonne's hand in a silent thank you. Michonne nodded and squeezed her hand back.

Rick looked at his daughter through the rear view mirror. "Carl named her." He stated. Her eyes shot to him. "Judith. He named her Judith."

Odessa would smile but her face hurt too much to do so. Everything hurt too much.

─────────

Odessa got out of the Hyundai and Beth was already waiting anxiously to see her sister and girlfriend. She would've hugged Maggie first but when she saw Odessa's face she gasped. "Oh, my God," she whispered. "What happened?"

"She can't talk," Maggie informed her sister quietly.

"We ran into Daryl's brother." Glenn started. "He beat us."

Beth gaped. "Are you okay?" Beth whispered. Odessa shook her head. Tears gathered in her eyes. Oscar was dead. Daryl was gone. Odessa was beat and assaulted again.

What did she deserve to do this?

Everything. The voice in the back of her mind said. You killed Shane. You killed those two men back in Woodbury. You did this to yourself.

Odessa's lip twitched as she fought back her tears and her anger. She was so angry. She wanted to kill Philip. She wanted to bash his head in. She wanted to slit his throat. She wanted to carve out his heart while he still lived. She wanted to burn him alive. She wanted to watch him suffer.

Beth brought Odessa into her arms and just as quickly as Beth hugged her, Odessa had her arms around Beth's torso. She hugged her tightly, fearing if she let her go she would slip from her. Just like everyone else did. She couldn't lose Beth. She would die before losing her.

Odessa pulled away first with tears in her eyes still. Beth gently brushed her hair back, careful of her injuries. "Daddy will fix you up, Des." She whispered gently. "And you'll be as good as new."

As good as new.

It was funny. It was a lie.

There was nothing good. Their new New was the Governor and Merle Dixon and three graves and one more to come for Oscar and Daryl Dixon's absence.