Chapter 16, Part 2

They joined in activities that afternoon, and it went well. It didn't matter. Brianna was right, the points they lost by forfeiting the tournament had them ranked dead last again, despite their victory in the canoe race.

The next day, they were given a rest day. Tomorrow they would hike up to the elders camp for the final big council of the summer and the next day Arthur Sage and his alpha mate Darlene would face off against Aaron and Karen Leidulf in two on two combat. The winner would be declared the tribe's ambassador and go to the Midwest council of tribes to decide whether the wolf Fenrir, of the Son's of Garm, should be crowned Wolf King.

Today, they would rest. Robbie came early in the day. Amanda caught a troubled look on his face as he waited outside the cabin for the others to come out. She was filled with foreboding. He told Jonathan and Tricia that they were invited to spend the day with their parents. Tricia flatly refused to go. He nodded. Jonathan said, "let me get my stuff."

"You don't have to, if you don't want," Connor said.

"I know," Jonathan said with a glance at Tricia. He shrugged. "Oh well, how much trouble can I be in? All I did was follow orders. And, somebody should go."

Tricia looked away. Robbie looked down and mumbled something before shuffling off to wait further down towards the trail.

Erica and Tanner had a movie they wanted to watch. Brianna unpacked her Macbook for the first time that summer for the occasion. Connor had a couple of Jiffy Pops and Amanda found her little camp stove to make popcorn.

Erica and Tanner argued back and forth about the size of the laptop's screen. "It's going to be too small," Erica insisted.

"You'll get used to it fast," Tanner maintained. He set up a chair to prop the computer up. "Should we invite them?" he asked and nodded.

The now four members of next year's pack were wandering across the yard in front of the cabins.

"Yeah," Connor said. He called out the door to them, "you guys want to watch a movie?"

Tyler shrugged, as did the short blond girl who had joined the pack last week. Marcus gave them an uncertain look, like he wanted to but wasn't sure.

"Sure," Tricia said. "C'mon guys, it'll be fun." They all piled into the cabin.

"Can we trust them?" Brianna asked.

"Tricia already knows," Amanda said.

Connor nodded, "yeah, I think we can. What do you think?" This last was directed at Brianna's bed.

A moment later, two furry heads stuck out from underneath the bed. They apparently thought so, too.

"You have pets?" Tyler asked. "Cool."

"Not pets, friends," Connor said, "and you got to swear to keep it under wraps, okay?" They all nodded.

"Friends?" Tyler said with a quizzical look.

Courtney transformed and stood in front of them. "Friends," she said.

"Otter clan," Tanner said. "They've been visiting."

"And while you all have been out training to be wolves, we have been working on a new trick," Courtney said, picking up Jay, who was still in otter form, "just for your entertainment." She smiled, a glint in her eye.

"A trick?" Brianna asked.

"I give you, otter juggling," Courtney said. She tossed Jay into the air to her right. Jay transformed in mid-leap and landed, in human form, on his feet. Courtney, meanwhile, jumped after him, transforming into an otter in mid-leap. Jay caught her and cried out, "Ta da!"

There was a smattering of applause. Jay threw Courtney to his left. She transformed and landed on her feet. Jay followed suit, leaping in the air with a smile on his face and transforming as he went. Courtney caught him, yelling, "Ta da!"

They continued this back and forth a couple more times, to general applause. Finally, they both started giggling too hard and Jay fell to the ground, nearly dropping Courtney. She transformed into human form, hugging Jay and laughing.

"You two are nuts," Brianna laughed, throwing sweats at them.