Chapter 4, Part 3

"Listen up everyone!" Marshall roared as they took the field the next morning. He had with him a group of young men and women. Everyone was craning their necks to check out these newcomers. "We have visitors. As you all know, there is a council meeting coming up this weekend. Already envoys from other tribes are starting to arrive. The envoy from Skollsens arrived this morning. He brought with him Skyler Martensen and pack."

One of the strange men stepped out of the group and waved. The rest of his pack waved from behind him.

"Now as I am sure you all know, being such well-trained wolves," Marshall said. "Each tribe has its own unique bloodline and it's own unique scent. Some of you have had a chance to meet Skollsen wolves or kin before, but many of you have not. We are going to do some cross training with them for the rest of the week. I want you all to find a chance to get acquainted with Skollsen's scent while they are here and to let them do the same. The beauty of tribal scents is that the nose never forgets. When a new shifter crosses your territory, you will be able to identify their tribe, if you have smelled it before."

Marshall gave a quick command and the groups all broke up. Connor and his pack made for the nearest shelving unit and began to strip. Amanda saw, through the growing throng of wolves in the open field, a blond-haired girl say something to Marshall and then run in her direction, still in human form.

The girl looked familiar as she arrived, breathless, in front of Amanda. "Hey," she said. "I told that guy I was going to run over here in human form so you could smell me too, but I really just wanted to say hi."

The familiar face clicked in Amanda's head suddenly. "Hannah for the Minneapolis Ren Faire?"

"Yeah, I was surprised to see you when we hiked in. Then someone said," her voice dropped suddenly, "is it true? About bear clan and all that?"

Amanda nodded. "Uncle Darren is one. I have the gift too, I guess."

"You guess?"

"I don't really have control yet," Amanda said. "That's why I am sidelined. But I did it once, a couple of months ago. Uncle Darren says we get our gift later and it's harder to control."

"Wow," Hannah said. "Well, I had better get with my pack. I hope to see you again."