Chapter One: part Two

The upstairs portion of the Leidulf's house was dark. A solitary flickering glow of a TV was visible through the sliding door as they approached the back of the house. The rest of Connor's pack, Brianna, Jonathan, Erica, and Tanner, were hunkered down on a long sofa watching a movie. As Amanda entered, she saw a flurry of activity as four sets of feet went down and four heads came up. Four sets of eyes followed their progress across the room. She heard at least one speculative sniff.

She fought down her irritation. Her nonexistent sex life did not need an audience. She knew they were trying to be unobtrusive about their interest. Besides, they couldn't help it. They all knew Connor was their alpha and whomever he chose for his mate would be their alpha female. Or perhaps whoever chose him—Amanda knew it was a two-way street.

Knowing was one thing; feeling it was another. They were struggling. At some subconscious level, the pack hierarchy was still in chaos. Connor did not have the alpha scent and wouldn't until he had an alpha mate. None of them knew for sure what would trigger that change. Except they were pretty sure that old-fashioned sex would do it. That was how it usually happened—at least, that's what they'd always heard. Usually over the summer, when the young packs were in training, the alpha couple would meet and hook up. The adults turned a blind eye. It was, after all, tradition.

"So did you have a good time?" Tanner asked innocently.

"Yes, we did," Connor said simply. Erica, who was almost as eager as Connor to accept Amanda as her alpha, had apparently already caught their scent and realized nothing had happened. She sank back in her seat. At a glance, the others settled back as well. "So, what are you guys watching?"

They talked for a while about the show the pack was watching. Amanda looked up at the clock. It was almost eleven. School was out for the summer . . . but still. "I should probably be getting home," she said.

"Aaron and Karen are in Wisconsin meeting with the elders," Tanner replied, "and won't be back until late tomorrow. And Mitch's idea of a curfew is if we are awake when he gets home from closing the bar."

"Just like Vince's idea of babysitting is to tell us, 'if you keep me awake with your damn racket, I'm gonna tan your hides,'" Erica replied with a smirk.

"So you guys are alone?" Amanda asked. "Where is Valerie?"

"She's babysitting Hunter so Darren can go patrol," Brianna said with a tone that implied Amanda should already know that.

"Uncle Darren didn't go anywhere," Amanda said, her brow scrunching up.

"I guess you two weren't the only ones wanting a little alone time," Erica snickered.

"Do you have a curfew?" Connor asked.

Amanda shook her head. "Uncle Darren has a simple attitude about bedtime," she said.

"What's that?" Jonathan asked.

"He's going to get you up the same time in the morning, regardless of when you went to bed," Amanda replied. "After a few days, bedtime takes care of itself."

"Now that's how it should be," Tanner said. "I mean, we're seniors now. Practically adults. What's with curfews and bedtimes?"

"Just another couple of days," Connor said, "and it won't matter." To Amanda he added, "Wolf Camp has the same attitude as your uncle. We set our own schedule. As long we're up on time, no one cares."

"Oh!" Erica said. "We almost forgot. Karen did call earlier. They got everything set up with the elders for Amanda to come."

Amanda smiled. She would miss traveling to all the Renaissance faires with her Uncle Darren and her brother Hunter, but she was excited to see the pack's summer camp too.

Connor walked her home. He'd changed into a tattered pair of sweats and an old T-shirt. She knew he was keyed up and planned a long run in wolf form after dropping her off. She couldn't blame him.

Uncle Darren and Valerie were on the porch as they approached. At least someone is getting some. Uncle Darren gave Valerie a quick peck on the cheek. Valerie said a quick hello and goodbye to Amanda. Connor and Valerie both disappeared into the night.

"Are you two experimenting?" Uncle Darren asked suspiciously as Amanda watched her boyfriend's retreating back.

"Ask me that again," she shot back, "and I am going to slap you somewhere on your chest or back. Wanna bet I hit a scratch or bite mark?"

He blushed. "Let's not do that," he said, and then went on, "Besides, that's different. We are consenting adults."

"I will be eighteen in a few months," she retorted.

"Aye," he agreed, "but you will always be my little niece-ee." He put one hand over her shoulder, and she leaned against him.

"I know," she said. "I will miss you this summer, Uncle."

"And I will miss you too," he agreed. "But it really is for the best. With the Sons of Garm out there, I will feel better knowing you are safe amongst the Leidulf clan."

"And Hunter?" Amanda asked.

"The north should be safe enough," he said. "Minnesota, Wisconsin. When I go farther south, I will leave him with Aunt Maggie. Having only him to watch will make it easier anyway." Uncle Darren removed his arm and turned Amanda gently toward him. He looked her in the eyes. "You know age isn't the only difference between Valerie and me, and you and Connor. He's alpha. They play for keeps."

"I know," Amanda replied.

He held her gaze for a minute and then hugged her. "You are growing up so fast," he said.