Chapter 18, part 3

The next morning Marshall announced a long run in wolf form. On the way out of breakfast, he pulled Connor aside and informed him that their pack would not be going. Connor nodded and led them back to their cabin. Amanda heard at least one older wolf snicker as they went by. They assumed Connor and pack were in some sort of trouble again. No one rose to the bait, they knew that the run was nothing more than a rouse to keep the rest of the wolves out of the way while Marshall and Connor confronted the elders.

They sat in their cabin and listened to the sounds of the other wolves leaving. Brianna had informed the otters as they ate their breakfast that Marshall would most likely be coming soon. They ate quickly and hid under the bed in otter form.

Marshall arrived as predicted and told them the elders would be there in ten minutes. He gave them a long worried look and then said, "I had hoped to just bring Jameson. You'd get a fair hearing. Others have taken it upon themselves to come as well. I don't know how this is going to go. But whatever happens, I've got your back, okay?"

Connor nodded. They all exchanged a troubled look.

Jonathan shrugged, "well, no point in putting if off." He was the first out the door, with the rest right behind.

Four elders, including Jameson, were approaching the hall as they neared it. Arthur Sage and Robbie were with them. Amanda glared at Robbie. He gave her a quick guilty look and then wouldn't meet her eye.

Jonathan stiffened but kept walking. Arthur froze, staring at his son. Then he strode forward, stopping nose to nose with Jonathan. The two stared at each other for a moment.

"Father," Jonathan said.

"You betrayed me," Arthur snapped.

Jonathan didn't reply. There was a loud crack as Arthur backhanded him. "You betrayed me!" Arthur roared. Jonathan sank to his knees in front of his father, putting his hands over his head.

"Sir," Marshall said sharply, reaching for Arthur.

Connor beat him there. "Leave him alone!" Connor screamed. He rushed forward and pushed Arthur roughly away. He stood over Jonathan. "You leave him alone," he cried again.

Arthur looked startled. Then his eyes narrowed and he stepped forward. His voice was tight. "That's my son," he growled.

Connor rushed him, pushing him. Arthur backpedaled a half dozen steps under the onslaught and then fell over backwards. "He's not your son anymore," Connor barked. "He's my wolf! You understand that! You won't touch him again, ever."

"Easy there," Marshall warned, pulling Connor back.

Arthur was on his feet in an instant. "You insolent little whelp," he raged, "I ought to..."

"Ought to what?" Connor shot back.

"I will tan your hide if you lay a finger on me again," Arthur said.

Connor pulled out of Marshall's grasp and started towards Arthur again. "Go right ahead and try," he said. "Come on, I challenge you. Try and take me. I am not afraid of you."

"Stop this right now!" Jameson snapped. His voice was dark and menacing, but when Amanda caught his eyes, they twinkled. "I have heard enough," he went on. Arthur started to say something but Jameson cut him off with an angry gesture. "It's too late. The words have been spoken. The challenge is issued. Tomorrow you will face Connor Leidulf." He turned and stormed off, the bewildered elders helplessly chasing after him.

Arthur and Connor stared at each other for a long time. Then both of them muttered, "fine," and turned away.

"That's not how I envisioned things going," Marshall said.

"You okay, buddy?" Connor said as he helped Jonathan to his feet.

"I will be," Jonathan said, rubbing his cheek and eye. Then he joked, "usually Erica is the one who comes out of these things with the black eye." Erica hit him on the shoulder and then hugged him.