Chapter 17, part 3

Amanda listened in tense anticipation as the howling got closer and closer. Jay put a hand on her back but said nothing.

The howling was broken suddenly by the sounds of scuffling. She tensed more, straining to hear what was going on, vainly trying to decipher who was fighting who.

Marshall came stomping across the yard, a heavy staff in his hand and a dark look on his face. Something brushed her leg and Amanda looked down in time to catch a glimpse of Jay's otter tail as he disappeared under the patio and out of sight.

"What the hell is going on?" he demanded. "That's real fighting going on out there, not training, not some prank."

"It's between Aaron and Arthur, Sir," Tricia said, marching up in front of him.

"They fight a fair fight, day after tomorrow," Marshall said.

"Arthur couldn't wait, nor does he wish to fight fair," Tricia said. "Jonathan went to warn Aaron but some of Arthur's packs tried to prevent him."

Marshall stared at her. Amanda squirmed, and she wasn't even directly in the dark gaze. Tricia however stood straight and met his eye.

Brianna streaked across the yard. She pulled up short in wolf form startled. Marshall broke his stare down with Tricia suddenly. "Get on your porch," he barked at Brianna, who scurried to comply. Another wolf appeared.

"You!" Marshall yelled, "are you involving my charges in adult business?" The wolf startled and started to slink off but Marshall was not through, "don't you move, Eric Bierman. I know you, I have trained every wolf in this tribe for thirty years. I know you and I know your alpha. And believe me, if you think you can bring your infighting and intrigues into my camp, to my charges, you will be hearing from me. Now get, before I sic my entire camp on you."

The wolf called Eric darted for the woods, only to be bowled over by Tanner, running heedless. The wolves untangled themselves quickly and Tanner staggered into the camp.

Three wolves broke from cover together, with four more hot on their tail. Eric's voice began to howl some signal and the four pursuers dissolved into the darkness. Connor and Erica, with Jonathan between them, staggered into the camp. Jonathan collapsed, transforming into human form on the ground. He was panting heavily and exhausted but appeared uninjured.

Connor was breathing heavily as he transformed and stood. Erica had blood running from her left shoulder and a bite mark on it. "You want another go?" she shouted at the woods, holding her fist up. She caught sight of Marshall and dropped her fist and her face quickly.

Marshall took Connor by his shoulder, whether to help him or hold him, Amanda couldn't tell. He assisted Connor onto the porch and sat him on the bench. "Brianna, take Erica to the shower house and clean her wounds. Tanner see to Jonathan. You," he said to Connor, "spill it."

Connor spilled it. Marshall listened intently, not interrupting. When Connor was done he said. "You could have come to me. I would not abide this sort of treachery." Connor looked up. Before Connor could speak Marshall sighed and waved him back. "No, that's the whole problem with treachery. You don't know who you can or can not trust. In the future, though, you have my solemn vow, I will not abide this sort of treachery."

Connor nodded. "I am sorry, sir. I don't mistrust you. I just, I didn't think."

Marshall stared into the darkness. "There are many in the tribe who are eager to ally themselves with this new power, for personal gain or simply to avoid the conflict. Even among the elders, voices speak in favour of these new wolves. Jameson," he looked at Connor hard, "Jameson is another you can trust, implicitly. He has the tribe's best interest at heart, always. Remember that in days to come."

Connor nodded.

Marshall stared off into the night. After a while he said, "I know every pack in this tribe. I have a satellite phone as well. I will contact someone I can trust, send them to check on Aaron, help if they can."

"If it's not too late," Connor said quietly.

"Don't count your parents out, Aaron is an accomplished warrior in his own right. I think it would take more than two packs to bring him down."

"I hope you are right," Connor replied.

"For tonight, you are safe. Tomorrow I will bring some of the elders here and we will discuss this further." With that he strode off into the night.