Chapter One: Part Three

The drumming grew in speed and energy around Amanda. It built to a crescendo. All the drummers felt it, and as one, they stopped drumming, raised their hands in the air and let out a wild whoop.

"That was an incredible jam," Kyle, the lead drummer, said. His eyes reflected the glow of the bonfire. The rest of his face was in shadow, giving him an unearthly appearance.

They were at his farm, several miles north of town and overlooking the river. It was the perfect place for drumming circles—the neighbors didn't complain about the noise and they could go late into the night. A huge bonfire had been laid in the center of the meadow. A distance away, the drummers had set up, leaving plenty of room for people to dance around the fire. They were seated in a group on lawn chairs, campstools, and other portable seats. There were over a dozen people, playing a variety of African and Middle Eastern drums.

"More, more, more," Tanner and Erica chanted from the circle of dancers. Several of the other dancers laughed and joined in.

"Of course!" Kyle answered in mock outrage. "We drummers will not be worn out by dancers. But a break for both parties first."

Some of the older drummers were passing a bottle of mead while they had the chance. For the younger participants and for most of the dancers, bottles of water were passed around. Amanda set down the Djembe she had been playing and accepted an old juice bottle filled with water that her best friend Jay handed to her. He was wearing his broomstick skirt and choli top. The visible parts of his body glistened with sweat, and his eyes were bright.

Amanda stood. She took a deep drink and passed the water bottle on. Then she grabbed Jay and pulled him into a long hug. "I am going to miss you so badly," she said.

"Aww, shucks," he joked. "We usually only see each other a few times over the summer anyway, what with all the traveling you and Uncle Darren usually do."

"I know," Amanda said, "but still. I'm going to take my cell phone. Connor says the wolf camp is so deep in the woods they don't get a signal, but I promise every time we hike out to the kin camp, I'll call."

"Actually," Jay began hesitantly, "I'm not sure how often I will be available either."

"You going somewhere?" she asked.

"Yeah," he said. "It's sort of tradition for our clan. Corey and I are going to make the rounds, visiting his family and mine both. You know, as a couple."

"A couple?" Amanda asked. "What are you, married or something?"

"No, but otters mate for life," Jay said. "It doesn't matter when we get married, we just know we will. We need to get to know each other's families."

"Who is going to look after the farm?" Amanda asked. The drummers were starting a new rhythm. Amanda and Jay walked a little way from the circle so they could continue to talk.

"It's just me and Corey going," Jay said.

"No adults?" Amanda asked.

Jay shrugged. "Otter clan is different," he insisted. "We raise our young like little adults. The two of us are both seventeen. We are practically adults. Besides, that's part of the tradition. We prove to the community that we are ready to be treated like adults by showing we can care for ourselves."

"Wow," Amanda said. "Don't tell Tanner. He's grousing about having a bedtime. I can't imagine what he'd think of your parents telling you to just run along by yourself."

Jay laughed. "Well, for one thing, we're going to see family. It's not like there won't be adults around, most of the time anyway. It's just that it's up to us to set the schedule. A few days with my uncle in Illinois, and then on to one of Corey's cousins in southern Wisconsin. You get the idea."

"How you are you getting around though? Did your mom get you a car?" Amanda asked.

Jay shrugged again. "Actually, no. Most of these families live along one river or another and . . . well, it's easier to just go that way."

"That way?"

"Otter form," he explained. "So, see, I can't really take my cell phone. I have your number memorized, though, and the one for the camp. We will try to call when we can."

"Wait, you and Corey are traveling half the summer in otter form?"

"I told you, it's tradition. Like the camp for Connor and his pack. Or Rumspringa,"

"Rum what?" Amanda asked.

"The Amish custom," Jay explained. "You know, where they send their kids out to experience life among normal folk for a while before they come back and become adults."

"Okay, I didn't know they did that."

"Anyway," Jay said, "It's our tradition. We spend the summer on our own, getting by in otter form, visiting family as a couple. When we come back, we are adults according to our tradition, even if we aren't legally yet."