Chapter 7, part 3

Amanda stared into the fire. She felt sated, they had eaten well at the feast. Each of the pack had spent most of the afternoon and evening catching up with family but now they had returned to their own campsite. The night was spent gathered around the fire pit they shared with Aaron and his pack. Tanner's parents had joined them, bringing the fixings to make S'mores.

The only one missing was Jonathan. She glanced across the road. They were having S'mores over there, too. She could vaguely make out Jonathan's profile. He was sitting on the ground with one of his younger nephews on his lap. They were roasting a marshmallow over the fire. It caught suddenly, flaring into flames. He pulled it off and the child blew on it to put it out.

Arthur was pulling a beer out of the cooler. He reached out a cuffed Jonathan on the head. "Pay attention, Dummy," he said.

Amanda felt Connor stiffen beside her. He half rose out of his chair, glaring at Arthur. A low growl escaped him. It was loud enough to carry and Arthur turned at it. "You got a problem with the way I raise my family?" he asked.

Connor just stared at him, his face taught.

Jonathan's head drooped as he looked away. His entire body seemed to shrink into the shadows by the fire.

"If you got a problem with me," Arthur went on, "why don't you come over and tell me to my face." Connor continued to stare, a small tick started working at his eye but he made no move to rise. "That's what I thought," Arthur said and turned away.

Connor continued to stare at the other camp for a long time, fighting to master his breathing.

"I don't like that man, either," Karen said quietly, coming over to her son. "But Jonathan is his son. They've got to work out their relationship for themselves."

Connor looked away, staring into the fire. "He's my pack now," he muttered. "He's my pack."

Amanda took his hand in hers. Her chest ached. Connor's fierce protectiveness touched her. But Karen was unfortunately right, there was little they could do about how Arthur choose to raise his family or treat his pack.

It was late before Arthur released Jonathan back to his pack. Only Amanda and Brianna were still up. As he trooped across the road and made for his tent, Brianna asked, "do you want to talk about it?"

"No," he barked. He crawled into his small pup tent without another word.