Chapter 10

I walk back to my house, saying quick good nights to the neighbors I pass.  I walk up my porch and open the door, but get a jump scare from my brother on the other side.

"Jeez! Victor, what are you doing?" I ask as I walk in, shutting the door behind me.

"Waiting for you," he says with a shrug.

"I've been gone all day, Bud. We're you really that bored?" I question as I go to thecounter and set my stuff down.

"Yeah. Mom told me to take a break from the shop. We're all gonna take a break- ish. No taking orders of customizations, just what we already have so we have enough time to make more. So ive just been sitting around all day," he says as he follows me to the counter.

"Where's Alvaro? And our parents?" I ask, glancing over at him as I take off my shoes.

"They're having a date night and Alvaro is staying over at his friend's house."

"And Andres?" I ask, the last resort.

"Working all day.  Hey, are those flowers in your hair?" he starts before i cut him off.

"so you've just been sitting here, waiting for me to come home, knowing i was going to be home later?  bro we need to get you a hobby."

"shut up," he says and walks to his room.  i follow suit to my own and put the sketchbook on my bed.  i open the cover and look through todays sketches.  there were so many beautiful landscapes that i'm glad i captured.  i rip the paper out of my book and tape it to my wall. I look back down at my other drawings in my book and notice some of him I drew while he wasn't paying attention. What? I couldn't help myself.

I stare at it, praising myself mentally for capturing his eyes on paper. I stare at them, getting a bit lost.

"Is that Camilo Madrigal?" I hear over my shoulder. I yelp, jumping and quickly shutting my art book, turning over to my older brother. He stared at me with confusion until his face turned to one of a surprised expression.

"Oohh," he says, quietly trailing his words, "you.."

"No! No, this isn't how it looks. I'm just proud of how the drawing came out!" I say, trying my best to be convincing.

"You like Camilo?" He asks with his eyebrows raised.

"No, i just drew him because he has nice features and a nice face. Besides," I say, trying really hard to not stutter out of embarrassment, "I'm setting him up with Val. Why would I set her up with someone I like?"

"Say what you want, but you're so easy to read."

"I am not, and like I said: I. Don't. Like. Him."

"Hm..." he says as he walks out my room, shutting the door.

I sigh, shit.  Now he's gonna go blabbing to Andres who can't keep a secret.  Just... great.

"Hey Vic?" I ask, walking out of my room at a quickened pace, sharpened pencil in hand.

"Yeah-" he begins before i grab him by the shirt and hold my other hand with the sharpened pencil up.

"If you so much as go blabbing to Andres, you'll be needing glasses. Are we clear?" I ask, tightening my grip.

"Yes! Yes, we're clear!" He says, putting his hands up in defeat.  I stay there for a few more seconds, examining his facial expression before i decide to let him go. I turn around and begin walking to my room again.

"So, you like him?" He asks. I freeze.

"No.  But if you tell Andres, he'll tell everyone and ruin everything for him and Valentina. I won't be able to be friends with him, Val wouldn't let me."