Chapter 6 - A Friendship Forged

It took Seraphina about thirty good minutes to get the sticky chowder off her hair, and then another twenty or so to get it off her body and clothes. She was drying herself off while thinking about how she would hide her scars from her roommates, when she heard a loud ring which almost made her jump out of her skin.

''What in world was that?'' she yelled as she wrapped a thick material provided around her naked self, and quickly put on the clothes Ms. Greeves had given her. They weren't much, just a clean white tunic and a pair of pants similar to the ones Thyra wore.

''That, my friend, was the warning bell.'' Hyacinth replied as soon as Seraphina emerged from the bathroom. 

''It means lessons are about to begin and all students should be seated for class,'' she explained as her hazel eyes skimmed through the piece of parchment she had in hand.

''What's that?''

''Your timetable has arrived,'' she waved it. ''I hope you don't mind, I was just going through it to see which classes we have together.''

''Right, about that-'' she hesitated a little then continued. ''What is your ability?''

''So, is no one going to talk about that fact that we are going to miss the first lesson of the day?'' Thyra intervened before Hyacinth could reply.

''I don't mind really,'' the blonde girl waved her hand, ''it's history with professor Walter. The most boring class ever,'' she sighed dramatically, making Seraphina chuckle.

''So, you didn't answer me,'' Seraphina asked again as she put some of the parchment she had on her study desk.

''Oh yes, sorry. I'm a guardian of the earth,'' Hyacinth replied.

''The earth, wow. That's why the plants on the window sill?'' she pointed to the small pots behind her.

''Yeah,'' Hyacinth flushed,'' I can manipulate the earth and its properties. I practice here sometimes.''

''Gods, that's amazing,'' Seraphina smiled and sat down on her bed.

Hyacinth smiled widely at her.

Thyra on the other hand, looked uncomfortable and wished she could be anywhere but here. Before the auburn haired girl could ask her what she could do, Hyacinth came to her rescue.

''What about you Sera, what can you do?''

''Oh umm, Ms. Greeves told me I am a fire wielder.''

''Shit, seriously!'' Hyacinth gasped. ''That is so amazing. Isn't it Thyra?''

''Mhmm,'' Thyra forced a smile and nodded. ''We should, ahem, uhhh, really go to class.''

''What about you?'' Seraphina asked the lean girl who was almost at the door now. ''What can you do?''

The smile dropped from Hyacinths' face as she looked between her new friend and her old one. Thyra froze, her whole form became rigid as she looked everywhere but at Seraphina, who had also noticed the sudden change of mood in the room.

''My apologies, did I say something wrong?''

''Umm, I think Thyra is right. We should head to class. I'm sure professor Walter wouldn't mind us being late a few minutes,'' the blonde girl said nervously as she begun folding the class schedule and gathered her books and parchments.

It looked like her ability was something Thyra didn't like to talk about, and Seraphina respected that. She would not push the girl into telling her something she wasn't ready to share.

''It's okay,'' she nodded to her roommate. ''I understand. Let's go to class,'' and she too grabbed her parchment and writing tools since she didn't have any books yet.