Chapter 17- Birthday Wishes

That evening they ate their dinner silently. The only sound heard around their table was of light chewing, and the sound of their knives and forks cutting through the meat.

Ever since her arrival at the academy a month ago, Seraphina had been eating meat almost regularly. She couldn't even remember the time she was denied it before. As she cut through her piece of steak, he eyes flickered to Atlas' who was sipping on his juice. She quickly looked away before he caught her staring.

She was going to do it today. She was going to ask him. She would not cower away like Thyra had said. In fact, she will do it right away, right now.

Or maybe once she was done with her meal.

Coward.

The word repeated in her mind, in Thyra's voice of all the things, which made her more fidgety and nervous.

Right now. Right now. Right no-

''Atlas, can I ask you something?'' She found the words flying out of her month. The small piece of steak lodged in her throat and she had to force a gulp to swallow it followed by a long sip of water.

The boys' head immediately whipped up to face her. Did she just call him by his name? And she wanted to ask him something? Was today his lucky day or what? First she was nice to him and now this?

''Maybe not then?'' he heard her say and watched as she looked down dejectedly and returned to her plate.

''What, uh no, no, no,'' He blinked his eyes. ''Please do ask.'' He was now eager to hear her ask him whatever it was she wanted to know. He would give her all the answers.

''Well,'' she played with her food for a moment. ''It's um, it's about that trip you took with Ms. Greeves and Ryker?''

''Ohh,'' his shoulders slumped a little.

He didn't know what exactly he wanted her to ask him, but he was sure it wasn't about that dreadful mission he was forced to gone on. But he would take it, so long as it was from her, he would take any dreadful questions.

''What about it?''

''I just, I wanted to know what happened on that trip exactly. What led to Ms. Greeves getting injured like that? How were you and Ryker not?''

Thyra's eyes widened and she looked at Hyacinth. She couldn't believe Seraphina actually did it. After a month, well two weeks of cowering away, she actually asked him today. Maybe all she needed was a push and calling her coward must have helped.

''He's never going to tell you.'' Caspian said in a sing-song voice and looked between the auburn haired girl and the werewolf prince. ''He's not even told me, and believe me I've tried to get it out of him.''

Seraphina slumped in her seat, her gaze fixated on Atlas. ''Ohh,'' she whispered quietly. ''I guess, it's okay then.''

''What, no!'' Atlas said quickly, very quickly. ''I will tell you, I will tell all of you.'' He then glared at his friend, who glared back.

Caspian stared at him in shock. He had pestered Atlas to talk to him about what had happened back at the forest ever since he got back, but the boy had been tight lipped about the whole thing. And now, just because a girl asked him politely he was ready to spill it all.

''Whipped.'' Caspian cupped a hand around mouth and coughed.

Neither of the girls heard him, but Atlas did and that too very clearly, thanks to his advance hearing. However, he chose to ignore it and focused his attention on the auburn haired beauty next to him.

''It was never my intention to go with the principal and Ryker on this trip. Or mission, as they liked to call it, but my father insisted, '' he began. ''We were way past the Fae kingdom and Mooncrest too. As we trekked deeper into the forest, what we saw haunted my dreams for days.''