Chapter 19- Moon and Water

That night, Atlas did not join the rest of the group for dinner. Everyone else seemed concerned for his absence, save for Seraphina, who had invited Zion to join them.

''So Zion,'' Hyacinth began, wanting to speak to the boy too. She twirled one of her short curls and smiled at him. ''What ability do you have?''

''Why don't you take a guess.'' He smiled a charming smile at her, flashing his milk white teeth and dimple.

''Oh, uh, ahem, okay,'' she giggled and pushed the strand of hair behind her ear.

''What in gods' name is she doing?'' Thyra whispered to Seraphina, who was trying hard not to laugh at her friends' obvious attempt at flirting.

''It's called flirting.'' She replied. ''If it wasn't for your constant ignorance of everything happening around you, you would have known. Right, Caspian?'' she turned to the mage boy and smiled.

''And what is that supposed to mean?!'' Thyra whipped her head around to face her friend, clearly offended by her words.

Seraphina fell back on her seat and shrugged her shoulders before smirking at Caspian.

''She's right, you know.'' The boy said, you really should pay attention to the people around you.

''Yes.'' Seraphina crossed her arms and raised her chin in triumph.

''As should you.'' Caspian gaze then landed on her.

Thyra snorted a chuckle but didn't say anything more the moment she saw Seraphina glaring at her. Zion and Hyacinth were busy talking so the girls and Caspian decided to let them be.

Halfway through their dinner, Seraphina felt like someone was watching her. At first she thought it was Atlas, who had gone back to his creepy antics, even though he had stopped doing it when she had confronted him that one time. However, when she looked up, she found Zion staring right at her. Even though Hyacinth was talking to him, his gaze was fixated on her and It sort of unnerved her.

What was it with boys staring at her? Had they never seen a girl with mismatched eyes before?

She gave him a friendly smile and quickly looked down at her plate, suddenly feeling uncomfortable under his stare. If Hyacinth really liked this boy, the last thing she wanted to do was be a hindrance. She had to admit though, he was cute.

***

As the girls got ready for bed that night, Seraphina carefully watched Hyacinth hum a tune as she made her bed and brushed her hair. Thyra noticed the change too, and was eyeing the shorter girl suspiciously.

''You really like him don't you?'' Seraphina finally asked after hearing the same tune on repeat for the fifth time.

''It's like you said, Sera, seems like the gods heard me.'' She replied in a dreamy voice. ''Do you know he is a water wielder?''

''Now we do.'' Thyra said as she braided her hair.

''Oh,'' Seraphina gulped. She was not pleased with the way the new boy was staring at her during dinner and now they'll be sharing a class. ''So he will be with us in element honing, won't he?''

''Of course silly!'' Hyacinth snorted a chuckle. ''It's not like there is another class especially for water wielders!''

''Uh-uh- yes, of course,'' she chuckled half-heartedly.

Thyra, who was watching the two carefully, raised her eyebrow at Seraphina before tilting her head. Seraphina glanced at the girl and shook her head before turning to look out the window.

''Goodnight you two.'' Hyacinth said and slipped into her bed.

''Goodnight.'' Both the girls murmured back.