Chapter 9 - We Don't Judge......Or Maybe We Do

''Would you quit glaring at me, it's infuriating!'' Seraphina scolded Thyra as they entered their dorm after dinner that night. ''You've been at it for hours now.''

After the History of Magic class, the next and last lesson of the day was training in combat, but since Professor Ryker wasn't available they all met up in the grand hall to finish some of their homework early.

''She's right, it's getting rather annoying. Besides, don't your eyes hurt?'' Hyacinth added as she closed the door behind them.

''Why did she say-'' Thyra paused.

''What, huh, what did I say exactly?'' Seraphina crossed her arms.

''Uhh, ah!'' she stomped her foot. "That Caspian Stine is nothing but an annoying prick, okay?''

''But Thyra, who said anything about Caspian?'' Hyacinth innocently asked as she unclasped her light blue cloak and threw it on her bed.

''What- I – uhh- umm- ughh, forget it! I'm going to take a bath,'' she threw her hands in the air in frustration and stormed towards the bathroom. ''Besides, aren't you supposed to be mad at her?'' she then smirked at Seraphina and slammed the door shut.

''Yes, about that......'' Seraphina started.

''Don't worry, I'm not mad, but we still need to talk, I've realized we don't know that much about you and you about us.''

''Ohh, there really isn't much to know, you know?'' she looked away from her friend and pretended to re-arrange her three books inside her trunk.

How was she supposed to tell her new friends that the reason she was here was because she accidently set fire to her house, killing her mother and step-father in the process?

Who would want to be friends with someone like that?

She couldn't tell them that, they would hate her forever, they would kick her out, and just when she thought she was enjoying having friends, she would be left with none. Once again she would be all alone.

Just then, there was a knock on the door, surprising both her and Hyacinth.

''Who could it be, and that too at this hour?'' her friend asked as she got up to open the door.

''Are you girls in there? Better hope you are, it's almost night fall,'' they heard a familiar voice.

''Professor Syrana?'' Hyacinth asked in surprise as she swung the door open.

''Hello Hyacinth,'' the professor smiled in relief, ''is Seraphina in, I need to give her something?''

''Yes, of course. Please come in.''

The professor walked in, dragging a medium sized trunk behind her and looked around their room, ''It's quite cosy in here,'' she said as her eyes landed on Seraphina, ''Ahh, this is for you, Ms. Greeves asked me to hand it over.'' She pointed to the trunk.

''Is she here?'' Seraphina asked hopefully.

''Oh no, no,'' Professor Syrana waved her hand in the air,'' she gave it to me before she left this morning.''

''What is it?''

''I believe its clothes and other items for your daily use.''

''Ohh I see, thank you professor.''

''You're quite welcome,'' she replied and nodded, her eyes once again not meeting Seraphina's. It was almost like she was scared. ''Well, I best be going. Goodnight girls, and remember to blow out your candles and lanterns.''

''Goodnight professor.'' both girls said in unison.

Seraphina lifted the trunk and placed it on her bed. Hyacinth joined her by her side as she waited to see what was inside. The door to the bathroom swung open and Thyra walked out in her night gown.