Chapter 10: So We're Famous Now?

''It's tomorrow, it's tomorrow, oh gods, it's tomorrow!'' Seraphina cracked her fingers and paced and around their room.

''Would you stop that, it's annoying!'' Thyra looked up from the book she was reading and glared daggers at her friend.

''Professor Ryker is coming back tonight and combat classes start tomorrow!'' Seraphina stopped her pacing and yelled at Thyra.

''I know! I was there when the announcement was made!'' She yelled back.

''Then why are you not freaking out?!''

''What is there to be freaked out about?''

''The training!''

''What about it?''

''Doing it! Doesn't doing the training freak you out?''

''No, why should it?'' Thyra asked her, clearly not getting her friends point.

''Ughh, you're hopeless.'' Seraphina smacked her forehead. ''I wish Hyacinth were here, she'd know what to say.''

''I'm not taking any offence to that, mainly because it's true.'' She snapped her book shut and stood up, ''but there is something I can help you with.''

''What?'' Seraphina asked desperately.

''Remember what Professor Syrana told you?''

''Yes?'' Seraphina scrunched her brows in confusion, wondering how Thyra knew about it in the first place.

''And remember how you have not been doing what she asked you to do all weekend?''

''Yes, but how do you-''

''Hyacinth asked me to watch you and make sure you'd practice. She knew you'd rely heavily on your anger and use it to conjure the flame.''

''That's absurd!''

''Is it?''

''No.'' Seraphina's shoulders slumped.

''Come on.'' She clapped her hands, ''I'm going to help you practice.'' She then grabbed a candle from the window sill and placed it on one of the tables.

''You really would?'' Seraphina asked, mostly surprised by the other girls' offer to help.

''Yes, it will be added to my list of things Hyacinth owes me.''

''You have a list?'' Seraphina eyebrows furrowed. ''Oh wait, don't answer, of course you do.''

''Yes. Now shall we?''

The girls spent almost two hours working on Seraphina's fire. 

Thyra had a unique way of teaching, Seraphina thought. She would put the candle in front of her face and ask her to conjure her flame, just as she would see the small sparks coming of it, she would say something that would anger her and it would cause the flame to enlarge.

At first she used Daphne to trigger her anger, but this one time she mentioned Varog and the flame shot high up the ceiling, starling the life out of Thyra. Luckily she didn't drop the candle, but she sure earned a death glare from Seraphina.

By the time the sun set that evening, Seraphina was able to call upon her fire using her other emotions, although, and she would never admit that to Thyra or anyone else, she still favored her anger and should it come down to it, she would use it to channel her power.

''Well, we should both head down for dinner. Hyacinth usually doesn't come until later in the night whenever she goes to visit her parents.''

''Well  okay, let's go. I'm famished.''