Chapter Fourteen-A Servant sees a ghost

(20 minutes before Melanie's ordeal)

Melanie walked down the cold hallway.

       She turned around, but noone was there.

        Robert DeWitte and Roger DeWitte were talking in the Dining Room. Their voices were distant. In her right hand was a brightly-lit lamp.

          It illumed the hallway.

           She saw the framed pictures on the wall.

           Because she didn't have her parents, she knew that having a family of any kind was important...And Lord Sheppard Fitzhume decided to give her a job as a servant.

             "Oh, thank you M'Lord", Melanie said, and cried with joy. And, with that support, she had had a home, a bed, and a job.

             A cold breeze wafted from unknown sources.

             Melanie turned around.

              Noone was there.

              She peered out of the window. Near the entrance that led to Sheppard Bridge, she saw a ghostly figure on the new bridge.

               It was Emma.

               Her black colored eyes gleamed in the semi-darkness. She glided on the bridge. The railings were there to protect the walker from falling.

                But it didn't protect anyone from wanting to commit suicide. That was the gist of the problem.

                 And, to her horror, she saw Emma throw herself off Sheppard Bridge.

                 And she screamed with terror...and fainted with shock.

__________________________________________________________________________________

"WHAT WAS THAT!", I yelled.

                 "Let's find out what's going on, brother", Roger DeWitte said.

                  And we opened the Dining Room door, then headed towards the darkening hallway. To our horror we saw Melanie lying on the ground with a pale look on her young face.

                   "Pray tell, what  is going on?", Roger asked.

                    "A ghost! She was on the bridge! I saw her! And she jumped off it!", Melanie answered, as she opened her eyes...and recovered from her ordeal.

                  "Who was it?", Roger enquired.

                    "Emma...Emma Fitzhume", Melanie said.

                     "It can't be!", Roger declared.

                      And he ran out of the front doors of Sheppard Manor, then headed towards the ghostly, haunted bridge...where the suicides of people was so frequent...that the ghosts of the dead had caused a permanent stain of blood upon the railings...and ropes...that held the bridge in one place...A stain that couldn't, or wouldn't, be removed no matter how hard anyone tried to clean it.

_________________________________________________________________________________

It was said the ghosts of the dead leave an imprint once they die. If they die a normal death, he or she would go to Heaven, as their family would leave the Church and cemetery knowing that their loved one was in a safe place; if they die a unnatural death, then the dead would suffer a death so horrible...that their soul will be damned for eternity...And would walk the Earth in eternal hell...And, for Emma Fitzhume's soul, her spirit was forced to repeat the act of her death on Sheppard Bridge...over...and over...and over again...until the end of time.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Page 14