Chapter Eleven-A ghostly hunt at Sheppard Bridge Manor

It would be scandalous of me to ignore Melanie. She awoke when I saw her. I wanted to take care of her because she was a lower class woman.

       I knew that the wrath of Lord Sheppard Fitzhume would not go unnoticed. But, to me, no society women wanted to know about what I do.

        The Old Man was a tortured soul.

        But I digress...

____________________________________________________________________________________

I walked towards Melanie's chambers.

         I knocked twice.

         "Sir, is it dinner time?", Melanie asked, as she got out of bed. The lamps still illumed her sparse room; her curtains were still drawn closed.

         "Indeed...Now, we're going on a ghost hunt. But I don't want you to be alone...I don't want you to be alone...Besides, the idea of losing another woman at the Manor shall not happen when I'm here...Once we dine, Charles and Roger can seek the ghost of Emma Fitzhume", I said. Melanie grabbed my right hand gently...and kissed me.

        "But I'm a servant...", Melanie said.

         "You're family", I said...As we headed down the haunted hallway, turned right, and opened the doors of the Dining Room, and walked towards the huge table...then sat down on the two head chairs...and ate our dinner in silence.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Charles grabbed his camera.

            "She'll be on the top of the stairs, Roger. Let's go up", he said.

            Upstairs, he saw another hallway. Two lamps illumed the hall. Six bedrooms were to the left...and the right.

              A statue of Lord Sheppard Fitzhume could be seen at the end of the hall. It cast an ominous shadow over the Manor.

               "The matriach of Sheppard Bridge Manor", I said.

               "Indeed...but we have work to do", Charles said.

               "Indeed", I said.

__________________________________________________________________________________

The dinner was lovely.

            Roast chicken, potatoes, beans, carrots, sausages, and gravy. And two clean goblets of red Wine.

              "Lovely, Sir! But how...", Melanie said.

               "I prepared dinner because you had the fright, dear...Now, please enjoy the meal...No women have come to me at state dinners...I am a writer...And I don't go out much...Such company is foreign to me", I said truthfully.

                "And you'd love me, Sir?", Melanie asked, blushing.

                "Aye, do you love the Wine and meal?". I answered.

                "Aye, Sir!", Melanie said, as she smiled for the first time since her arrival at Sheppard Bridge Manor.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Charles went to the first bedroom. He opened it. Roger was ready take any photographs for the ghost hunt.

             He flicked on the lights.

             Inside was a large bed, red colored curtains, a black colored study, a small, black colored library, and bath.

              "I don...", Charles begun.

               Suddenly, to their horror, the door slammed shut by itself.

                 And then the blood chilling screams of Emma Fitzhume were heard all across the Manor.

Page 11