Part 3

Age 10

A tapping at her window broke Hecate out of her sleep. She was half tempted to ignore it, but seeing as it was her window, she figured that she should check it out. What she found was unusual, even by her standards. An owl clutching a letter in its beak had one talon curled into a fist-like shape and was knocking on her window.

The raven haired witch opened the window and let the owl in. She took the letter from its beak and fixed a cup of water for it to drink out of. The girl broke the seal of the letter and found that it was an invitation to a magic school called Beauxbaton's Academy of Magic. Moments later, another owl flew through her window. Furrowing her brows at the strange occurrence, she took the letter from this one as well.

It turned out to be an acceptance letter to a different magic school called Durmstrang Institute of Magic. Both were asking for her reply by August 1st with the terms for both starting on September 1st. Hecate looked through the supply list from both schools and made the decision from what they were requiring their students to bring with them.

Beauxbatons' uniform requirements seemed to be very feminine and bad for fighting in. Durmstrang's, however, seemed to be designed for fighting in. They also required that the students bring weapons such as daggers and swords. That was what got Hecate interested in them.

Any excuse to use bladed weapons was welcome in her book. The girl quickly pulled out some stationery and wrote a response to both schools. One to Beauxbatons politely declining their invitation, and one to Durmstrang accepting their offer. She did request that they send someone to collect her and take her to retrieve her supplies due to her place at the orphanage. It just seemed to be a good idea to request such a thing.

She sent the two owls off with their respective replies and got ready for the day. A day later, the Matron came to her room, informing her that she had a visitor. When she came downstairs and found a man in a fur lined coat, she knew that he was there to take her to gather her school supplies. And to offer her an official spot at his school. That was important. Matron wouldn't let her go if she thought it was a scam.

Well, the woman would try to stop her. It wouldn't work, but it would still be a pain in the butt if it were to happen. "Hello, my name is Hecate Potter. Might I ask who you are?" the girl asked politely. The man smiled at her.

"My name is Igor Karkoff. I am the headmaster at Durmstrang Institute. I would like to offer you a place at my school. Durmstrang is a boarding school, so you would stay at the school for most of the year," he explained to her. "We at Durmstrang have looked at your grades in school and feel that you would excel at our school."