Part 20

All Hallows Eve passed without a hitch. Hecate led the first years in the rituals, teaching them along the way. The next day, everything returned to normal. It was obvious that the holiday had happened, though.

The teachers were more solemn as they taught their classes. A heavy air had settled on the castle. Most everyone had been able to seance with their loved ones that had passed on, and their grief rose back to the surface. That once again faded, however, as Yule came nearer.

One of Hecate's year-mates scurried past her. Two more soon followed suit. Then, four more. "You four," Hecate said abruptly before they could get too far ahead of her. They all slowly turned to face the girl. "Where are you going, and why are you in such a hurry?"

All of them paled. Hecate's eyes narrowed. "P-professor Yakov is practicing the Dark Arts in the courtyard!" one yipped, terrified.

"So?" She asked dryly. "We begin studying the Dark Arts next year. You should be watching what he is doing and learning from him. Return to the courtyard at once." Once again, the students before her paled. "Now."

They started back in the direction that they had come from. "You have good control over your year mates." Ekaterina's voice came from a side hall. Hecate turned her head to look at the older girl.

"I do," Hecate replied. "They fear me. That's all one needs to have full control over people. Show that you are on a completely different level from them, and they will bow to your every whim."

"That's quite a cynical way of viewing life."

The raven-haired girl raised an eyebrow. "Only if you disagree with it. Tell me, Heiress Romanova, how do you feel that people whom you have been charged with handling should be managed?"

Ekaterina smiled gently. "With a firm, but kind hand. Those in power ought not torment those who are weaker than themselves. People who do such things are often labeled tyrants, and tyrants' empires always revolt against them."

Confusion hit Hecate like a tidal wave. "But that's how I've always dealt with people. If I overpower people and make them fear me, they bow to my every whim."

"If you lead them to respect you through your kindness, they will honor your wishes because of their admiration of you," the older girl pointed out. "That is today's thought to think about. Please do so." With those words, Ekaterina swept away, her cloak billowing behind her.

Hecate frowned after the girl, confusion still swirling in her mind over what the girl had meant. How did being kind to people make them more likely to respect you? If someone fears you, don't they also respect you, or at least your power? It just didn't make any sense.

The Heiress turned on her heel and strode back towards the courtyard. It would be useful to watch a demonstration of the Dark Arts. Much more so than standing there trying to figure out Ekaterina's words all day.

Of course, it might also be helpful to research what she had said about tyrants. Just to be on the safe side. The voice would be upset if she lost her power to some pathetic weakling. She was sure of that.