Part 19

When the rest of the students entered the room, they came across an interesting sight. Ivet, Ivalio, Connor, Lokial, and Viktor all fighting against Hecate. And she was doing a good job of holding her own. It could even be seen that she was likely winning.

"Elistas, dual! Avery, knives! Varniski, protect!" Viktor called out as he dueled Hecate head-on. The twins move in sync to Hecate's right and left, wands out.

Connor sprinted directly at Viktor, who knelt just in time for the orphan to springboard off of his back. As the third year continued to duel Hecate, Connor landed behind the girl, pulling two wicked-looking daggers from their sheaths at his waist.

Within seconds, a protective spell was cast around those fighting Hecate. Once again, the twins moved in sync, both casting a powerful Stupify. At the same time, Avery attacked with his knives, the blades glowing with power.

In the blink of an eye, a blinding flash of light rebounded each of the attacks. "Shit," Viktor muttered, leaping out of the way of his rebounded attack. Connor and the twins weren't as fortunate.

They fell, one after the other as their own attacks hit them. The Krum Heir quickly cast his strongest disillusionment charm over himself and his one remaining teammate.

"Varniski, we need a new plan," he whispered as soon as the boy was in range of his voice. "We're not going to last much longer without one. "

The second year crumpled to the ground. "How the hell did you get over there?" Viktor growled when he spotted Hecate on the far side of the room, lounging on a couple of rolled-up mats.

The girl smirked at him."Magic," she simply stated. Then she threw a spell at him. The student barely had time to block it before it reached him.

It broke through his shield. He blacked out.

"Viktor. Wake up." Hecate snapped at the boy. He grunted. "Krum, if you don't wake the hell up, I'll stab you in the kidney."

He cracked an eye open. "No, you won't."

"Try me," she snarled.

Viktor opened his other eye and frowned at her. "You're no funnnn," he whined. "Let me be dead in peace."

"You're not dead, dummy. Not even Voldemort could kill with that spell," she snarked at him. "Stop being such a drama queen. "

"Meanie."

"Child. You're at least two years older than me. Stop acting like a five-year-old. Get your ass off the floor and go form a new strategy. We still have time for another fight," Hecate snapped.

"Fineeee," Viktor sulked. "I don't wanna fight you again. You always win. I'm never gonna beat you." The heiress shot a silent stinging hex at him. "Ow! Good grief, woman! I'm going, I'm going." Krum clambered to his feet and headed in the direction of his ailing teammates.

They looked at him as he walked up. "Morning, sleeping beauty," Avery said sarcastically. Viktor smirked at him.

"You have no room to talk. At least I was actually hit by an enemy spell. You were annihilated by your own spell. Talk about room for improvement."

***

"Samhain rituals are a sacred tradition in the Wizarding community. As such, we expect you to follow them with all due reverence," Karkoff lectured the student body. "If you wish to participate in the rituals, by all means, please do, but if you aren't, behave yourselves."

Hecate glanced around the dining hall. After Combat Training, the professors had gathered all of the students to said hall. The heiress frowned slightly. It was a mild disappointment that they didn't require the students to participate.

As the Headmaster had stated, they were a sacred part of wizarding culture. "Elistas," she spoke quietly. "Tell all of the first years that I expect them to participate. The Old Ways are important to maintain."

"Yes, Heiress."

"You are all dismissed to prepare for today's rituals," Karkoff announced. Hecate was gone moments later.