Part 11

Time skip to the start of term
(Yes, I know this is a major time skip, but I don't really know what to do with the Volkov family yet.)

"New students, welcome to Durmstrang Institute. Old students, welcome back. Before the feast, we will have our annual initiation trials for the first years. New students, if you would follow Professor Kozak into the next room, we will begin your trials."

The other children around Hecate muttered to each other nervously.  "Trials? But we haven't learned anything yet! We can't be having some sort test before we learn anything!" The other whispers were along the same lines as that.  The heiress rolled her eyes.

This was Durmstrang. The school was known for being tough on its students. The teachers giving them some sort of test on their first night there wasn't all that shocking.

The group of students followed a strict looking professor through a wide pair of double doors and into a cavernous room. Students were wide-eyed as they stared at the giant obstacle course before them. There were dueling dummies and vicious looking magical creatures, but there were also purely physical obstacles as well.

"Students, you will each have five minutes to get as far through this course as possible. Whoever makes it the farthest will be your leader and representative for the next eight years. Do your best."

The young lady of the Volkov family rolled her eyes. How clever of them. It was like they were saying "whosoever shall win this competition shall be king". If you wanted to motivate a bunch of kids, that was certainly one way to get it done.

Hecate glanced around, sizing up her apparent opponents. Some of them had nicer looking robes and looked more confident while others wore what looked like second-hand robes and were quaking in their combat boots. 'The confident ones will likely panic when faced with actually being on the course. The nervous ones will likely go farther. Or fail completely,' She mused.

The professors started calling kids in alphabetical order and the brunette watched, amused, as some failed to make it past the first set of obstacles. Looking over the course she started to calculate the amount of time she could spend on each obstacle to make it all the way through the course.

About midway through the list, they called her name. "Hecate Potter-Volkov, please come forward to complete the obstacle course." Muttering followed the announcement of her name.

Just Potter or just Volkov would have caused a stir, but the two together ensured chaos. 'Ignore them. You have fifteen seconds for each obstacle.  Your head has to be in the game.'

A professor who had been introduced as Professor Haugen looked at her intently. "Are you ready?" At her self-assured nod, he smiled. "Your time starts ...NOW!!"